Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Rodeo, Bingo, Party and Trial

I have had a very hard time getting my blog to post for some reason.  I will try again.  It has been a busy July, but lots of fun!  Last week, I went to the Senior Center for lunch.  I won 2 bingo games and was so shocked!  It doesn't cost anything to play and I won $10.  Noel sent pics on his FaceBook page.  On Friday morning, Bill and I acted like we were retired, and went to the International Youth Rodeo at the Expo Center in Shawnee.  I really love watching the high school kids compete.  I could never do it myself!  On Friday evening, our Bible Study class came over to our house for a potluck and games.  There were 16 people who showed up.  Sunday, I taught my Bible Study Class, and then we visited Immanuel Baptist Church for worship.  It is a mega church in Shawnee, and Bill was curious.   We decided we really love New Beginnings Church.  It is small, about 150 people, and is more like a family.   After church, we met Noel, Mark, their friend Ed, and Gramma for lunch at the Bamboo Restaurant.  Janice was not feeling well.

Today, I spent the morning at the hospital volunteering.  I never cease to be overwhelmed by the suffering.  In many cases, people have made very choices that have brought on their problems.   Not only are they sick, but their relationships are disasterous.

The Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman trial has taken over the media.  I am so sick of people talking about that case who never watched the trial and have no idea what they are talking about.  A trial verdict is based on evidence, not compassion or anything else.  And, I'm sick of national leaders doing everything they can to divide the nation.  Some just thrive on chaos.  They don't have a life, so they protest and do other things to give themselves some excitement.  How immature! 

Today, I was listening to an interview titled, "Listening to the Young Atheist".  It was very interesting.  A man has done research to find out why youth who have grown up in the church have left it.  The central thread was that they were hurt by people in the church over actions concerning their youth director or a pastor.  Their focus was on "people" and not the Bible itself.  Also, those interviewed used the pronoun "I" over and over.  "I" think, "I" want, "I" was etc.  There was no attempt to think of others points of view.   It is sad that the church has focused on entertaining the youth, rather than teaching them values that would serve them throughout their lives.  God forgive us all!  

No comments: