Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mother's Day and Age - the Great Equalizer

It was a great Mother's Day weekend!  Saturday, I received a bouquet of flowers from Bill, a baby rose bush in a straw basket from Kirk and Tamra, and a bouquet of tulips from Kelli.  Keri has had internet problems in Africa, but plans to skype this week as available.  God has given me the most beautiful kids - inside and out.  They don't embarrass me, and always treat me with respect.  We don't fight with each other verbally and have such a great time when we are together!!  I am truly blessed!

Sunday, Bill and I worshiped with Mom at her church (First Baptist, Tecumseh) and then took her to dinner at Bamboo Garden.  She loves the cashew chicken.  I have a great Mom.  We don't always agree on everything, but I respect her so much and keep my mouth shut.  I appreciate her for always loving me and being there for me.  I know that her values come from a close relationship with God and she has done her best to pass those on to her kids.  We are lucky that she not only talked, but was the best role model.   

It was a difficult week for me.  I experienced gout in my right toe, and had to see my doctor for the pain.  He put me on a steroid for 6 days that took the inflammation away immediately.  I have also been drinking 100% cherry juice which was hard to drink because it is so tart.  The pain caused my blood pressure to go up and I was told to check it every day.  I bought the best money could buy at WalGreens.  It was obviously flawed due to the crazy numbers that showed on the screen.  I took it to the nurse at the senior center and she tested the monitor.  After comparing her readings, she told me to get my money back.  I did so!  Now, I just use the monitor at the senior center when I go for lunch.   After calling in my readings, the doctor is changing my pressure meds for awhile.  I guess I didn't think I would ever get old because people always tell me how young I look.  Well, I might look young, but I'm getting older.  That's what happens when you are 66 years old!  Age is the great equalizer.  It doesn't matter how you look, or how smart you are.  Age and death will come and we have to be prepared to meet it gracefully.

During my pain, I thought of all the people I have prayed for, and decided to go on face book and ask my family and friends to pray for me!  I received the most precious prayers back from my family.  My grandkids melt my heart with their simple words to God.  I know that I was better so much sooner because of their faith.  We are all nutty, crazy Christians and I wouldn't change that for my soul.     

No comments: