Monday, June 2, 2014

This Day is a New Gift from God

This morning I woke up at 5:00 a.m. and it was storming outside.  Lightning was flashing and the power of God was thundering.  I just lay in my bed and enjoyed the sound of pouring rain.  After experiencing a drought in Nairobi, Kenya and praying for water, I know how to be thankful.

Bill and I returned from our trip to Michigan last Saturday afternoon.  We had been gone from home for 12 days.  On Thursday, May 22, we attended our grandson, Caleb's high school graduation.  There were 420 Hudsonville High School graduates in the Hope College arena in Holland, Michigan.   I can't believe I'm old enough to have a grandson going to Indiana Weslyan University this fall.  On Friday evening, we had a party for Caleb in Kelli's condo.  Kirk and his family had flown from California for the event and we had pizza and Boston Creme cake.  

On Saturday Morning, we all went to Springdale Park in Grand Rapids, Michigan for Dave and Kelli's wedding.  It was beautiful and the weather was perfect!  There was a brook that bubbled nearby and Redbud trees in bloom.  Kelli and Dave's children each had a long-stemmed flower that they put into a large vase to make a bouquet that represented the blended family.  My granddaughter, Hannah sang "Oceans" while her new stepbrothers played the guitar and bongo drums.  It was beautiful!  After the wedding we drove to the Amway Grand Hotel.  The lunch was held on the 28th floor and served very elegantly. 

On Sunday, Bill and I drove to Manistee which is about 90 north of Grand Rapids.  It is where Bill spent every summer of his life.  We sold the cottage a few years ago but still spend time there.  We stayed at the Little River Resort and enjoyed the area.  We saw "Godzilla" at the newly restored Vogue Theater and had lunch on the river.  Later, we got ice cream and drove to the Lake Michigan Beach where the lighthouse guards the channel.  We visited our old neighbors, Marlene and Roy Walters, and were sure to eat at the Cherry Hut. 

We drove home via Springfield, Illinois and got caught in a major rain storm.  We had to pull over on the highway for about 20 minutes until we could see to drive.  We stopped for the night at Hampton Inn in Litchfield, Illinois.  I had a temperature problem while taking my shower and ended up getting the night and our breakfast free of charge.  That is my favorite hotel! 

We drove to Springfield, Missouri and spent 2 nights with Noel and Janice who happened to be there for doctor's appointments.  Bailey (Janice's dad) came over one evening and had chinese food with us.  On Friday morning, we went to Silver Dollar City and used our passes.  Noel introduced us to the breakfast buffet before enjoying the music shows.  It was Bluegrass Week.  We met several nice folks while we were there who agreed with our analysis of the Obama administration.  We are getting closer and closer to the end days.  People have to be very fearful before they will let the government take over their lives.  The fastest way to do that is to take away people's faith in God and to make them feel dependent.  I don't think I have ever met so many prideful people who think they can take care of the world.  It amazes me!  I know where my power and strength comes from.  Certainly not myself.  Every morning, I talk to my father in heaven and ask Him to work out my day for me.  I also talk to Him about other people.  I ask for their faith to be strengthened so that they can be free of fear and know that all is well.  This is not my home, I'm just passing through.  Yeah!  The journey is fun! 

No comments: