Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Made it to Wednesday!

Bill barbequed porkchops outside on the grill tonight. The temperature has dropped - making life more bearable. Chinami helped with the dishes because she loves Wheel of Fortune as much as I do. She has learned that dinner must be cooked and cleaned up before 6:30 p.m. Ha! She also sits in front of the TV with her notebook, and writes down every new word or phrase. She watches Bill O'Reilly, and hears all of the debate about such things as the planned mosque, and the government's overspending. It's really interesting to hear what she thinks about the world. On the way to school, she said, "I have always felt sorry for the people of North Korea because they have no freedom. Now, I feel sorry for the Muslim people also." This comes after being in class with her Muslim classmates for over a week, and having in-depth converstations with them.

Today, I made a little more progress with one of my students. He has been late for class, missed classes, and has tested me whenever possible. Today, he asked if he could go to the toilet. I told him that break was just 10 minutes away. And then I added, "No food, no water and no toilet." (It's Ramadan.) He cocked his head and began laughing. Later, when I checked the page he had written for me, it was perfect!! I told him it was breaktime and he could go to the toilet. I noticed that he was in no hurry. After break, he was a wonderful student! I'm not sure that it was a Red letter day. Perhaps it was a Pink letter day. That's good, too!

Back to last Sunday.....Bill and I played a trumpet/piano duet. We played Bill Gaither's song, "We are so Blessed". Jin, a new Korean student attended church with us. It was his first time in a Christian church. He ate lunch with us at Braum's afterwards. (We are eating all the ice cream we can while it is hot.) Later, in the evening, we went to Mom's to eat tacos and play Mexican Train. Chinami played for the first time and won two rounds. Mom loved teaching her to play!

No comments: