Saturday, August 21, 2010

Week's Events

We just returned from OKC where we took Chinami to see the National Cowboy Museum. We had been there before, but I saw so much more today. I decided my favorite artist in the painting and sculpture section is Robert Shufelt. He has a picture of a donkey and a cowboy on a horse that have incredible detail. I also enjoyed the section on old western TV shows. There is memorabilia from Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Lone Ranger, John Wayne and many more. There is a machine that plays music and one is to match the shows. After leaving the museum, we drove back to Shawnee and had dinner at Cracker Barrel. We had rainbow trout.

In a few minutes, we are taking Chinami to the Tecumseh Rodeo. It's raining at the moment, so it will be interesting to see if the event continues. It may be postponed.

This has been a very busy week. I have been teaching full-time, which I almost never do anymore. I'm praying that the school hires some more teachers so I can go part-time again. I have a great morning with excellent students who are "high level". My afternoon classes have been very challenging for me! I have two new Saudi men who are very low level, and had to get use to the idea of having a woman teacher. I felt the power struggle for the first three days, and then things started getting better on Friday. Staying on a schedule was very difficult for them, and they wanted to negotiate their grades! To make things even worse, this is the beginning of Ramadan and they have to fast from sun- up to sun -down. No food or water! I have been asked repeated why I don't fast. When I explain legalism versus the heart, I can see the wheels turning.

Chinami has been a pleasure to have at school and in our home. She seems to enjoy my cooking, helps with the chores, and is always on time. She is excelling in her classes, and says she isn't home-sick. She has called home twice. On the way home from school, she commented on the Oklahoma sky. She says, "It is so high!" I told her I love the Oklahoma sky also. We have the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets! Our air is clear and you can see for miles!

I'll write more later since we are leaving soon for the rodeo.

No comments: