Monday, November 15, 2010

Weekend ESL Conference

I am still recovering from my hospital visit, but felt it was necessary to attend the conference for Oklahoma ESL teachers. Our school is in the middle of an accreditation, and the powers that be will be looking to see that teachers are up to date. Six of us drove to Tulsa together in the school van after classes on Friday. It was raining, but beautiful! There is a lot of countryside between Oklahoma cities. I loved watching the horses and cows standing lazily under trees of red, yellow and green leaves. Ducks floated in ponds nearby.

We stayed at the Park Inn which is next to the Tulsa Airport, and near Tulsa Community College where the conference was held. TCC is a new campus on the north side and very modern. We were treated to catered meals, and spent almost every minute in seminars that we had to account for. My favorite was titled, "Music and Language". That was pure fun for me! During the Director's meeting, some of us visited with Desiree Jang and saw her new baby. Desiree was our former director in Shawnee. She's living in Tulsa now while her husband, James, works on his M.D. He was busy learning to sew up patients after heart surgery at a nearby hospital.

After arriving back in Shawnee on Saturday evening, Bill and I got up early on Sunday so I could teach Bible Study, and Bill direct choir rehearsal. Pete came by our house last week on his bike to pick up copies of the music and a CD. He dropped out of choir to leave retirement and go back to work as a jet mechanic at Tinker Field. His days were cut, so we now have 17 in the choir.

After choir practice, Bill and I had a quiet lunch at Cracker Barrel. As soon as we reached home, I fell asleep in our Lazy Boy couch, and Bill went to work on his on-line class. Now, it is Monday, and we are back to class again. I'm only teaching two classes in the mornings, and I am celebrating my schedule! Thank you, God! I can feel His presence through these busy days!

No comments: