Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Last Friday evening, Bill and I worked on the yards. He mowed and trimmed the back and front yards while I watered plants. Saturday morning, Bill cleaned out the shed while I cleaned the fridge and went grocery shopping. By lunchtime we were both exhausted and took a nap. At 4:00 we took a drive to Thunderbird Lake which is about 20 minutes west on Hwy 9. The Clear Bay Cafe on Calyso Cove opens on Memorial Day weekend. We enjoy sitting on the deck which has misters, and watching the speed boats and jet skis. Bill always orders clam and fries. I ate a pulled barbeque chicken sandwich. I also had a virgin pina colada. It's slushy. While eating, a group of young adults got off of a boat and sat down at the table next to us. Considering that they had some children sitting nearby, Bill and I could not believe the conversation. It was all about their evening at a bar, and who was showing off her new underwear. Everyone was laughing. Wow! Our friends talk about politics, theology, travel and educational matters.

Sunday, I once again didn't expect too many to be in church since it was a holiday weekend. And, again I was surprised! There were 15 in my Bible Study. It was a tough lesson for me. It concerned mentoring others spiritually and being patient with new Christians. My class is very transparent and said it is difficult for them to spend time with those who need attention. We also talked about how difficult it is to socialize with people who do not share our values, drink heavily, and use profanity.

Sunday evening, we met our friends, Anne and Dan, at the Hornbeck to watch, "Limitless". It is interesting to think about how smart you could be if you could access all of your brain and remember everything you have ever seen or read. We wish that we could give some of our students a few pills. It might help them in the study of English. Smile!

Monday, I picked Mom up for lunch. Bill grilled T-Bone steaks to go with the potatoe salad we had made earlier, toss salad and corn on the cob. For dessert, I served strawberries on angel food cake with whipped cream. Later, we played Mexican Train Dominoes. Mom never tires of that game because she is sooo good at it! We took her home around 4:30.

Last night, we received news that many of the church bonds that we bought are in default. It is just another sign that the church age is coming to a close and the Bible is absolutely true. Bill has diversified our portfolio, so I'm not worried. A lady told me today that I don't look my age. I told her that I get up every morning and decide whether to have FAITH or to have FEAR. With God, I have no fear, only faith that He is going to take care of me now and through eternity.

No comments: