Friday, October 21, 2011

One Nation Divided

I have been very disturbed by the scenes I have seen on TV this week. I was further shocked when our president encouraged the unorderly demonstrations. Everyone agrees that policies need to be changed so that people are not cheated by banks and businesses. However, the folks I see on the streets of NYC apparently missed the lessons regarding going through proper channels, using proper hygeine and having respect for people who have different beliefs.

When you take God out of a person's belief system, it seems that respect for others is also abandoned. I have not always agreed with my parents, but I have always respected them and would not want them to be embarrassed in front of their friends by my behavior. It's not all about me! I wasn't allowed to talk back to my parents, and I never allowed my kids to talk back to me. To this day that rule persists, and we all respect each other in spite of differences.

A nation is like a family. When we are unable to sit down and discuss problems in a civil manner, all hell will let loose. In spite of being raised with six brothers, yelling and screaming was not a part of our homelife. By nature, we are selfish, but the spirit of God can change hearts so that we aren't always looking out for ourselves. On the other hand, I have observed that the people who want everyone to have equal benefits without working for them, are often people who were spoiled while growing up. They never had to work too hard, and had a lot doled out to them. They never learned the satisfaction of working hard and achieving success on their own. My husband, Bill, was in the Peace Corp. Their motto was , "Don't give people fish. Teach them how to fish so that they will never be hungry."

No comments: