Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Noel's Surgery/Palm Sunday/J.C. Kanady

Friday morning, I got up at 5 p.m. to drive Mom, Bailey and Mark to Okla. Heart Hospital (North campus). Noel and Janice stayed at the Country Inn Suites the night before the surgery. We ate breakfast in the hospital cafeteria and then played Skip-Bo until noon. Janice was given a buzzer, and on the hour someone would update her on Noel's progress. When Noel was placed in ICU, Janice asked me to go with her. Mom wouldn't go because she said it brought back too memories. When we went into the room, Noel had been restrained by 6 nurses. He's a tall, big guy and apparently he didn't like all the tubes! Of course, he had no idea of where he was or what he was doing. He did very well on Saturday, but hit bottom on Sunday evening. When I called, he was in terrible pain and began to cry. I felt helpless and began to pray! By Monday, his improvement was like a miracle!! I drove Janice and Mom to the hospital. Noel had showered, been for a brief walk, and was sitting up without tubes. He even chuckled a bit. He really smiled when his son, Steve walked in with his family from Springfield, Missouri!

I felt torn on Sunday. I wanted to be at the hospital but knew I had responsibilites at the church. I had made little Easter baskets for my Bible Class members. I thought I had made extra, but it turned out I had just enough. There were 17 present and 2 absent. I wanted to do it on Palm Sunday because we have choir musical sound check during Bible Study on Easter. I'm really praying hard because Bill asked me again to sing the alto solo and I consented. Marla has also asked me to play the offertory because Sue is in Texas. Lots of practicing going on in our house! God's Spirit is at work in our church. Our pastor baptized 4 teens and 2 adults asked for membership.

Saturday, we attended the memorial service for our good friend, J.C. Kanady. He lost a battle with bladder cancer. He had been an architect and was a sweet Christian guy! He was not in the choir, but always came with his wife, Sue to the practices at our house. He would sit in the livingroom with the other spouses who didn't sing and just visit with them. They called themselves "groupies". I'm so glad I'm a believer! I'll see J.C. again. I'm sure of it!

No comments: