Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Back to the Hospital

One morning, Sondra and I decided to go watch Mom do physical therapy in the nursing facility.  We stopped them from having her pull weights overhead due to her recent pacemaker procedure.  When her session was finished she began to complain of chest pain and we could see her body convulse.  Tests showed that her lead wires had come loose.  They were too short for her chest.  It was back to the hospital to put extension cords on her new spark plugs!  The nurses and doctors on 3rd floor knew us well from the week previous, and said, "Here are those problem children again!"

Just a few days before, Mom had been released from St. Anthony and I had packed her bag - including a heart monitor which I presumed went with her.   As Mom was being taken to the nursing facility,  Galen, Sondra, Noel, Mark, and Bill and I decided to eat dinner at Arrow Cafe.  Before dinner arrived, I received a call asking me to return the heart monitor.  The entire third floor was on lock-down until it was found!!!  My family encouraged me to eat my dinner (which I can't remember) before returning to the hospital.  I arrived on the third floor at 6:40 p.m.  I was greeted with hugs and all kinds of expressions of gratitude!  The shift change was at 7:00 p.m. and no one could leave until I showed up with that extremely expensive monitor.  I get teased a lot about it!

I had my own doctor's appointment this week.  I was surprised that my blood pressure was so good!  I told Dr. Shaw that I had seen a beautiful picture of eagles and angels while having my blood drawn in the lab.  I was feeling really tired at the time and it reminded me of my favorite verse:  "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings of the eagles.  They shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."  The doctor smiled and said, "My favorite song is "On the Wings of Eagles".  Do you know it?  I said, "No, sing it for me!"  And, he did!  Then he told me that he wouldn't be the doctor he is without the help of our good Lord.  I thanked Dr. Shaw for saving my mother's life for a little while longer.  He had read her EKG and called the ambulance.   I learned that doctors and nurses need encouragement from us!

I continue to be grateful for such a  loving family and friends!   My phone has rung off the hook, and I felt so much support from my brothers' families and my kids.  My brothers' facebook connections were really humming.  The cards have flowed in as well.  Thank you!

I taught my Bible Study Class on Sunday.  There were 18 of us in spite of 6 members absent.  We are growing.  The lesson concerned the power we have when we have the Holy Spirit working in us and through us. 

I played the piano for the wind ensemble that played last Sunday.  The Holy Spirit helped me big time!  I didn't have lots of time to practice.  The arrangement of "I Will Sing of the Almighty" was 6 pages and was filled with sixteenth notes.  The ensemble consisted of trumpet, flute, clainet,  trombone and piano.  Many people said they were blessed by the music.  Heaven will be filled with music!

   

No comments: