Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chaplain/Michigan/Family

This has been another busy week!  I finished my orientation at St. Anthony Hospital - Shawnee.  Yesterday, after the morning session, new nurses, radiologists and 3 volunteers (including myself) were asked to follow our trainer outside the conference room.  The directors of all of the hospital departments were lined up in the hallway clapping for us.  We were then led into a room that had linen covered tables and we were served a beautiful roast beef dinner.  I felt honored when I was given my security badge with picture ID, and my blue jacket that said, "pastoral care".  (After all, I was the lady who had stolen a heart monitor by mistake!)

After receiving my booster shots in the afternoon, I had 30 minutes before my afternoon session on disease control.  I decided to get a glass of ice tea from the hospital cafe.  I had to wait for a fellow in a wheelchair in front of me and noticed he had a foot that was bandaged.  He told me that he was going to lose that foot the next morning.  I assured him that he wouldn't be alone, that God and His angels would be with him through it all.  The fellow continued putting sugar in his tea and didn't say a word.  But, before he left, he looked at me with tears and said, "Bless you, lady!  Bless you!    I realized that I couldn't save his foot, but I could give him a smile and encouragement in the assurance of God's presence.

For those of you who remember the pretty lady, Dr. Anderson, who was Mom's physician while at St. Anthony's.  She is a born again Christian and talked at my orientation about the beauty of losing one of her patients who knew God in a very personal way.  She said it was her spirit-filled patients who led herto really know God.   I've heard it before, and I heard it again.  There is a difference between the way a believer dies, and the way a non-believer dies.  Everyone in the room can feel the peace and hope!

We are packing for our yearly vacation to Lake Michigan.  We're going back to the same condo we rented last year.  It is on the harbour and faces the beach.  It's the same beach that Bill grew up on in the summers,  and enjoys watching the grandkids swing and go down the same tall slide he did as a child.  We love walking on the pier and watching the thunderstorms form on the lake. 

Keri called to say that she and Kevin had a great trip to Charlotte, N.Carolina for a missions exploration conference. ( Kelli drove to Chicago to watch their 3 kids.)  However, they have another option they are looking at and will know soon where God is leading them.

Sunday was very good.  There were 16 in my class.  We continued our study of the Holy Spirit and the warfare that goes on in our lives.  We discussed Chick-Fil-A and what it means to be a Christian in a world that does not tolerate Christians.    After the service, we went to lunch with Noel, Mark and his friend, David Karr.  Then, we visited Mom in the nursing home.  She is doing great and continues to smile!

 

 

No comments: