Tuesday, October 23, 2012

New Class/Cleaning the Clutter/St. Anthony Hospital

Today was my morning to volunteer at the hospital.  I look forward to it because the people I meet enhance my life so much.  Ed is an 80 year old volunteer who is a cancer survivor.  He drives the shuttle cart in the parking lot and had lunch with our group today.  George is in his 80's and orders the candy for the gift shop.  Patti is a volunteer chaplain with me.  She is a retired police officer and rides a motorcycle.  Her husband is also a retired police officer.  Patti is tall, slim and a pretty blond.  But--don't mess with her!  Oh, she plays the electric guitar in our church worship band.

As I made my rounds today, I met a couple who had just been told that they must make a decision whether to take their mother off of feeding tubes or not.   We talked and prayed together as the tears flowed.  When I left, I knew that God was giving them peace.  A lady in another room was so glad to see me!  She cried and held my hand as she poured out her heart.   She related that her 19 year old grandson had broken into her house while she was in the hospital.  The patient's housekeeper had found him in his grandmother's bedroom with his girlfriend having sex.  Broken bottles of alcohol were strewn about the house along with burnt down candles.  I felt at a loss when listening to her story.  I began to pray that God would bring peace into this lady's life.  I encouraged her to just calm down, relax and concentrate on recovery.  I also prayed for the grandson!

This week, Bill was given two new college on-line classes. The on-line system has been changed, so Bill and I both are having to learn where things are.  The classes are "Christian World View" and "Writing for the Media".  Having taught these classes before, we are astounded by the bias of the media.  Thank God for Fox News!  After the 2nd debate, Candy Crowley had to apologize for being wrong about statements made by Obama.  Unfortunately, millions of people heard her take up for the president.  After the 3rd debate, fact checkers noted that Obama had mistakenly called Romney a liar.    The media is not quick to report these facts if they don't help their man.  This is not good journalism.  When I read my daughter Kelli's articles,  I notice that she is totally unbiased.

Bill is substitute teaching 2 days a week by choice.  We actually spent a morning together just shredding old files, and cleaning closets.  I can't stand clutter so I was in 7th heaven!

Mom is coming over tonight for barbequed pork chops.  The weather has been very warm, but is expected to change to winter this weekend.  It's time to put away the patio furniture and carve a pumpkin.  I love fall and the changing colors on the trees in the park.  Thank you, God!      

No comments: