Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday, January 23, 2009

I left Chicago yesterday morning in 23 degree weather, and arrived in OKC in 73 degree weather! It felt so good after experiencing record cold while visiting Keri's family. I did enjoy looking at the snow, however! When Kelli and granddaughter, Hannah arrived last Sunday from Grand Rapids, Keri talked us all into venturing onto the lake to experience the ice. That was fun for about 10 seconds, then I was ready to go back inside the house and just watch. There were actually men who were out ice fishing and enjoying the day!

For 10 days, I ran up and down stairs to help take care of Sofia (4 yrs.) and Selah (16 mos.). They are so different in looks, but so alike in personality! They are both smart and determined and sing like little birds. I feel blessed to have such cute granddaughters!

While Kelli was in Chicago, Keri cooked a birthday dinner for me (pork chops and red potatoes). After dinner, I was given a framed map of the world. It is personalized and has pins to show all of the countires where Bill and I have traveled. Keri and Kevin have one like it in their entry.

I didn't get to see Caleb (who will be 13 yrs. this month) because he went with his dad to Guatamala to help in an orphanage. He was loving his experience there!

On Wednesday evening, I went to church and observed Kevin in action. He is full-time children's minister at Crossroads Baptist Church. It is just a few miles from the Great Lakes Navy Training Center. I was so impressed with the program for the kids! The kids don't get bored! They have worship time, small group learning time, and active games in the gym. In spite of the snow, there were over 50 children in attendance. The church building is quite new and one of the most beautiful I've seen.

One afternoon, Keri and I went to the Nail Spa and got pedicures. I went wild and had my toes painted a very bright pink! Before leaving the salon, we had our feet oiled and swathed in saran wrap. Then we slid our feet into our boots. Our feet were really soft!

Kirk called last week. He had taken some guys from Set Free to speak at a high school club. Kirk told the students that there was going to be a concert and if their churches wanted to donate prizes, they would be welcome. The teacher (club sponsor) wrote out a check for $100 and said it was a "thank you". Her son had been on drugs and had been helped by Set Free. Kirk also said that one of the fellows who went with him was recognized by some of the other teachers, and asked what he was doing there. Kirk told Moses to go ahead and do what he knew he had to do. Moses went to his former teachers and apologized for his behavior. He also told them how Christ had changed his life. What a cool story! That's what being a Christian is all about!

I'm going to visit Mom this afternoon, so I will continue this later. It's good to be home. Bill had cleaned the house and bought me a rose arrangement early for my birthday.

No comments: