Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wow! I had a birthday yesterday and I turned 61 years old! Funny, I don't feel any different. Nice people tell me that I don't look any different either. Bill is not a party planner, but he always does something different and fun for me. Yesterday, he took me to Norman to watch OU play Baylor in basketball. It was very relaxing because OU took control of the game from the beginning. They made six 3 point baskets in the first half. We noticed that 50% of the spectators were senior citizens. I had not been to a college game since I was a student, and wondered about the folks around me. After the game, we cruised Norman to find a place to eat. I got excited when I saw Marie Callenders (a California restaurant). Half way through my meal, I noticed something black, round and shiny in the middle of my mashed potatoes. The manager had no idea what it was and gave me my meal free. I also got a piece of lemon pie free. I saved the receipt in case I became ill. (I'm just fine!) We kept the whole thing quiet, and I think the manager appreciated our thoughtfulness.

Bible Study class was great today. There were 10 present, and 4 absent. The lesson focused on how people come to trust Christ in different ways and with different feelings. I allowed each person to tell about their own experience in 3 sentences or less. I was impressed with Paul Sloane. He said that he learned to trust Christ while he was in bootcamp and was reading a Gideon Bible. (He had never read the Bible as an adult.) He said the experience changed his vocabulary and his friends. I was thinking about how friends leave you when you become a Christian. Sometimes you have to make a choice between God and people. I've been in that situation, and the pain is real.

After church, Bill drove me to the Delta Cafe for lunch. (He felt bad about my dinner last evening.) I had Shepherd's Pie and Blackberry Cobbler. Now, I have to watch my diet!!!

I'm still worried about Mom. She's still having pains in her chest in spite of tests not showing a thing. She keeps going in her own strength, and refuses to leave her apartment. Tomorrow, we are expecting freezing rain. I have asked her to please not have any emergencies. Ha!

Bill has been asked to play his trumpet next Sunday, and a musical has been chosen for the Easter choir. We may try to have the choir sing with a CD orchestra. I said that I would be willing to learn the sound board and help the guys in the back. They need help listening to the balance. I've never done anything like that, but I think it could enhance the choir.

No comments: