Monday, June 18, 2012

Mom/Hospital/Recital/Father's Day

Last week was filled with people and activity!  Noel was in town for a doctor's appointment, so he went with Mom and me to Cooper's Funeral Home to pre-plan and pay for her funeral.  She thought that everything had been taken care of in California where Dad is buried.    We learned that only her burial has been taken care of, so we started planning and writing checks.  I'm so grateful we did that!  We joked a lot, and I learned many new things about my mother.  Jay Cooper is a Christian and he enjoyed "our visit".

Tuesday morning, Pastor Larry asked me to come to the hospital and talk to him about being a chaplain's assistant.  St. Anthonys has bought out Unity Hospital and the doctor's medical center.  It means that there will be more freedom to help the patients spiritually.  I volunteered to help 2 mornings a week, but will have to go through a security check and an orientation.  I met several more doctors and nurses who openly welcomed my help.  The emergency room and the surgery waiting room are filled with people in despair.  I just pray that I can pass to others the peace and calm that God has given to me.  I have no doubt that heaven exists and I want people to open their hearts and minds to that fact!

Friday evening, we had a taco salad supper and music recital at our house.  Bill invited 4 Korean students to join my students.  They played the piano and guitar, and sang.  Vincent played "Jesus Loves Me", and then his mother, Ashley sang, "How Great Thous Art".   She has a strong soprano voice.  To close, Bill played his trumpet and recorder.  I accompanied him.

We spent Saturday getting a new hot water heater.  It was only fitting after the lawn mower died, and the Corolla had work done on the brakes.  I was reminded again of how important it is to save for a rainy day, and that material things don't last forever.  I just looked up and said, "Thank you Lord for providing and giving us common sense to save money.  The United States Government has no idea of how to handle money! 

I am also grateful for a wonderful father who knew God intimately, and showed his love for his children and my mother.  If anyone had the right to feel like a victim and blame others, my Dad certainly did.  He never let being an orphan and having extended family who were alcoholics keep him down.  Dad struck out on his own before graduating from high school.  He finished high school while at OBU and then went to Southwestern Seminary.  He made a conscious effort to learn how to be polite, have class, and to dress like a gentleman.  Dad taught us that God was a "God of order".   Dad never allowed his children to use bad language, to raise our voices in the house, and to respect each other at all times.  Dad taught us that, "God is love and respect."    He practiced what he preached, and he was loved by the entire community.  Pastors from all denominations often called our home just to talk to Dad.  Dad exuded love and truth, and I look forward to seeing him again in heaven. 

Of course, I always let Bill know how glad I am  that he is a good step-father.  He always makes sure that I see the kids and that we have vacation time together.  He's very generous and doesn't mind using money that he has earned to pay for those vacations.  Kirk is extra kind to Bill because he knows how difficult it is to be a step-Dad.  I thank God for good fathers!

No comments: