Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Summer Has Arrived

I have been spoiled to the spring-like weather in Oklahoma.  However, my tomatoes have flourished in the humid heat this week!  I picked 3 large red ones yesterday afternoon to enjoy with our homemade tacos.   I was excited after last years drought destroyed all my efforts in gardening.

Bill asked me to go to the OKC zoo with him on Saturday before the summer gets too hot.  We asked Mom to go with us, but she said she had seen enough animals in San Diego.  I told her I had seen most of the animals on safari in Africa, but it would be nice to just relax.  And relax, we did!  We took the tram and didn't do too much walking.  We were blessed with a parking space that was close because the National Softball Championships (Women's) were across the road from the zoo. In fact, we have been watching the OU women play on TV during Thunder Basketball commercials.  How about those Thunder!!  I pay attention to Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook because their mothers are radiant Christian women.  They go to the games and pray --  Not to win, but for their sons to do their best.

After going to the zoo on Saturday, we ate a late lunch at Applebee's.  I love the spinach dip with cornchips.  In fact, we ate so much that we didn't want dinner.  Noel had told us about the shaved ice shack close to our house, so we checked it out.  We both ordered mai tai with a scoop of ice cream.  Most of the kids around us ordered Spider Man  which is red and blue.  There are about 50 flavors.

Sunday was great!  I'm enjoying playing with the praise band.  Listening to those people pray before practices is inspiring!  They don't perform, they give their talents to God.  I asked Jesse Hernandez to play the offertory.  It gave me a break.  After worship, we had our July 4th choir rehearsal.  The syncopation is a challenge.  The group is always smaller in the summer, but very talented.  About 5 men and 6 women stay to practice every Sunday.

Bill and I have begun teaching another college class together.  It is a communications class.  I checked their autobiographies today.  They are from all over the United States and are extremely interesting people.  One is an international singer.   I also noticed that most of them are Christians and are proud of who they serve.  It shows because they are also humble in their communication to the other students in the class.  I have become more and more aware that humility is a must in the Christian life because we cannot give ourselves credit for anything!  Everything we are and everything we have comes from our Lord and creator!  You can see the joy in a TRUE Christian's eyes!          

No comments: