Monday, June 11, 2012

Remembering Andy/Shopping/Concert

Thankfully, our summer weather continues to shift.  It's hot for a few days and then a cold front brings us more rain.  The summer seems more normal than last year.  I thank God evry morning!

This week I received a call that Andy (Andrew) Hyde had been released from his cancer pain, and had gone to be with God.  The hurt for Kirk and Tamra was intense since Tamra just lost her mother in November.  I have wonderful memories of Andy.  He flew around the world selling yeast for Anheiser Busch to international bakeries.  Andy loved people and had a personality that lit up the room.  At 65 years old, Andy and I would talk about sixties music and the many Japanese students that he and his wife, Nancy, hosted in their home over the years.  Last August, Andy and I were both staying with Kirk and Tamra because Ezekiel was in Children's Hospital, and Nancy was in another hospital nearby.  Andy drove me home one day before he drove on to visit Nancy.  As he drove, he told me the following story:    Andy did not grow up in a Christian home.  His parents did not attend church.  When he was 9 years old he decided to walk to the Catholic Church near his home.  While there, he copied the worshippers and just followed their lead.  When he returned home, Andy related to his mother how he had done everything right, including taking communion.  His mother flew into a rage because he had not been baptized!  Andy told me that he had such a desire to know God, that he was relieved to find out how simple it was when he became an adult.  He told me how God had become real to him when God released Tamra from drug addiction.  He watched Tamra receive her B.S. in nursing while on a softball scholarship.  (great pitcher!)  Andy had coached his kids and was devastated by the drug use.  However, he learned that the power of God can turn life around!

I listened to Madeline Murray O'Hare's son speak on Huckabee's program on Fox.  William Murray has written a book, "Life Without God".  He was a successful businessman who began to drink.  In his lowest moment he began searching for God and found him.  His life without God was so bad that he can remember his mother saying, "I wish that abortion had been legal when I conceived you!"   That is just a glimpse of how our world would be without God!!

Last Thursday, Bill and I were asked to play a 30 minute concert at Unity Hospital in their chapel.  Bill played his trumpet and wood recorder, and I sang one song.  Several doctors and nurses were there from the rehab and cancer center.  While there, I became interested in the volunteer program.  I talked to Pastor Larry about it, and he has encouraged me to come a few hours a week. 

Mom's brother left her a little money, and I have taken her shopping this week.  Actually, it has been fun to watch her decide what to buy.  I didn't realize that she had been wanting a new blender.   She also asked me to help her choose a new mattress set.   She's been told that her apartment complex is being renovated, and she will be moved to an updated apartment in a few months.  She's really excited about that!  I've also noticed that she is getting stronger and more flexible since we have been going to the toning tables on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  It's a nice mother/daughter time. 

    

No comments: