Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Tears and Smiles

Last weekend was very difficult for me.  I taught school for 22 years.  Five of those years, I taught first grade.  I could relate so personally when I heard of the school shootings in NewTown.  I could just imagine what those teachers were feeling!  Bill and I arrived in Nairobi, Kenya just 6 months after the embassy was bombed there.  Our school campus, Rosslyn Academy, is only 1 kilometer from the new embassy.  And, across the road are the offices for the United Nations.  Because of the proximity to these important buildings, we often had evacuation and stranger drills.  The first time I heard the siren, my heart pounded!  I lined up my 24 children and marched them across the soccer field to the line of waiting busses.  My eyes filled with tears as I realized my heavy responsibility, and I prayed!  The high school and the middle school joined us, and then the superintendent spoke over a loud speaker.  The grounds had been swept by security and there was no longer a danger.  I thanked God, and returned my children to the classroom.  Many of them were crying, and told me about their evacuation during the bombing when they were in kindergarten. 
I can't even imagine what the faculty and parents are going through in Connecticut as I think of my own grandchildren!  I did hear a father talk about his faith in God, and he encouraged the community to reach out to the shooter's family.  What an act of forgiveness!  That man will be able to go on with his life because he knows that God is in control, and that gives him peace and strength.   I believe that all of those innocent children are with God and are His angels.   I will continue to teach my children and grandchildren to trust God for everyday, and to live in His love, not in the fear of evil.  Light is more powerful than darkness!

Yesterday, our church choir sang their best musical yet! ( Chuck Edwards was not able to be there and record it for us because he is working in New York City for FEMA.)  The church has new omi-directional microphones and many people said the choir sounded like they were singing in a concert hall.  We sang, "Repeat the Sounding Joy" by Wayne Haun and Dave Clark.  It has a Branson feel, and the congregation started clapping along with several of the numbers.  At the close of the service, Bill was honored by the church.  He had worried over every detail, and God blessed his efforts.  The church was packed out, and we ran out of ham at the potluck.  There must have been 175 in attendance.    We have been asked to sing several of the numbers from the musical at the Okla. Expo Center on Wednesday morning for a Christmas party.  We are still amazed at how God has blessed us with so much talent, and we just want to give the songs back to Him!  The more we empty ourselves, the more God can pour into us!  Jesus was born so that we can have eternal life if we BELIEVE!                   

No comments: