Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Home for the Holidays - Sometimes!

I just returned home from the hospital where I volunteer.  During lunch,  Pastor Larry introduced me to 3 doctors who are active Christians.  One administers chemo therapy to out-patients, one is an OB-Gyn, and the other is a general surgeon.  They are all very friendly, and it shows that they are believers!  While making my rounds on the 3rd floor today, I met a young woman with COPD.  She related to me that she thought she was dying last night while in ER.  She also told me that Dr. Anderson (my friend) had seen her through her trauma, and when the patient was aware of her surroundings again, she noticed that the doctor was wearing a pin that read "JESUS".  She told her that someone could wear an Obama pin, and still not know him.  Dr. Anderson smiled and said, "I know Him as my Savior and Lord of my life."  The patient then said, "I'm in the right hospital!"

Before going to the hospital, Noel and I attended a CPN Christmas party for elders.  It was my first.  We sat with our cousins, Ruth and Laura and talked about summers past at our grandparent's house.  (Mom had a dental appointment and couldn't attend.)  The food and drink was very good, and the CPN pre-school provided entertainment.  Noel won a gift certificate to the Delta Cafe.  Before we left, we were all given a bag of gifts and an Indian ornament made from beads.  Nice!

Last night, Noel called and said that he had prepared sloppy joes and homemade banana pudding for a family in his church who had come down with the flu.  Would we come?  Since I had just given 2 piano lessons and it was getting late, I was very happy!  Mom joined us as well.  It is so good to see Noel's health improving!!  He had some rough days in the past.

In fact, Noel is feeling so much better, that his pastor asked him to preach a week ago for both services while he was on vacation.  I played the piano for the evening service because the music director's mother-in-law died during the afternoon.  I don't usually attend in the evenings, but I did it for my beloved brother.  He is a great preacher.  He is interesting, brief, and challenges Christians.  After the service, we went to Braums' and I enjoyed an eggnog cone.

The "Christian Worldview" class is now finished, and "Writing for the Media" has begun.  I'm am so glad to be finished with the 2 atheists in our class!  They were extremely rude and loved to put Christians down whenever possible.  It was challenging to stay polite and objective.  Both students made an "A" grade because their papers were written well.  It was during the discussions that they were arrogant and hateful at times to their classmates and to Bill as the teacher.  I pray that Christians will never become so intolerant as what we have experienced.  I still don't believe anyone is really an atheist, just bitter and angry at God.  Or, they don't want themselves or someone they know to be accountable.  As I've said before, I have literally traveled the world, and people of all nations are seeking God in their own way.  We were created to do so!  The Bible says that we will be judged for what we know.  I know for a fact that "true" Christians are the happiest people on the face of the earth.  I can see peace on their faces and in their eyes - even in the midst of trials.  "Religion" and a relationship with Jesus are two different things!  Some "Christians" are not Christians at all. 

Last Friday evening, we had 21 people in our home for Christmas Choir potluck and practice.  I think the entire town must have enjoyed our music until about 8 p.m.  The musical rocks and everyone enjoys singing it so much!  Last Sunday, the choir sang "Come On, Ring Those Bells" to entice everyone to come back on the 16th to hear the whole enchilada.  The church has been talking about how many "powerful" singers we have this year.  There are 7 men who have outstanding voices.  It's God's choir, and He is blessing it more and more every year!!!    

No comments: