Friday, January 18, 2013

Compassion for Our World

I wrote a blog earlier, got sidetracked and didn't publish it.  Bill is teaching today at Gordon Cooper Tech Center.  The class is "Digital Media".  I determined that I would get this blog and other things finished while he is gone.  While making tonight's chicken stew in my crockpot, I listened to the news on Fox.  (I've learned that it is the only channel that one can hear all sides of an issue.)  As the stories were unfolding regarding various athletes, I was reminded that "to err is human, but to forgive is divine".  Jesus taught us "compassion".  That word means "to suffer together".  Our Bible Study lesson for Sunday is from the Book of Obadiah.  In the first chapter, God warns that we are not to gloat over our  brother's day of calamity, nor are we to rejoice at other's destruction.  We have all sinned and need forgiveness.  And, in some cases, those in distress need our help. 

I am amazed that people are so upset over guns and the killing of 20 elementary children.  Out of selfishness and convenience, America killed 1,210,000 unborn babies in one year.  Our president has approved of partial birth abortions which means that it can be murdered if it is born alive.  It is not a wonder to me that life is not viewed as precious.  If one becomes deeply depressed, it makes sense to end your life and take others with you when you don't believe that you were created by God and you are special to Him.  (Source:http://guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html)  I have compassion for those unborn babies and have asked God to forgive our nation.  I'm very glad I wasn't aborted!  If we didn't waste our resources, there would be plenty for all!  God provides.  People destroy.

Speaking of compassion, my daughter, Kelli had a trying week!  On her way back to Grand Rapids from Oklahoma, her Honda broke down in Highland, Illinois.  She called from a hotel.  We wanted to help her, so we sent money with Keri and Kevin who left the next morning to go back to Chicago.  Kelli rented a car and drove with Hannah and Caleb back home.  She had a magazine to publish for the university!  After a week, she went back to Highland to pick up her car.  It ran perfectly!  However, one hour from home, her car hit a Michigan bear.  It was dark and raining, so she kept driving.  Her insurance provided her with another rental car and are repairing the car to the tune of $1,600.  Kelli reports that she has learned to totally depend on God to care for her.   Like Daniel, we might go through the fire, but we will come through better people. 

Last week, Bill and I finally began to feel healthy.  We had our flu shots, so that was never a problem.  Our chest colds hung on forever.  Now, Gramma has the same cold and we are watching her very carefully. 

I gave my piano lessons as usual this week.  My students tell me their life stories that are terrible!  One little girl has seen so much of the world due to her mother going in and out of prison.  She was taken out of a bad foster home and now lives with her grandparents.  This child is so cute, sweet and smart.  I give her lots of hugs and tell her there is a better way to live your life.  She told me how she went to VBS last summer with a friend, and finds peace and encouragement at church.  She is only 10 years old.  Hopefully, she is learning to value life and that she has purpose!

Before Christmas, my granddaughter, Sofia, took bags of candy to school with a note that said, "Merry Christmas" and gave them to her friends.  The second grade teacher confiscated them and sent them back home so that no one would be offended.  Keri spoke to the teacher about Sofia's right to express herself.  The same school has lessons about Jewish holidays, and celebrates those days by not having school!  I grew up in San Diego where there were many Jewish people living all around us.  We honored each other, and I recall having a "Festival of Lights" drama in my junior high school.  In the same program, my orchestra played Christams carols.  Why is this war against Christians so necessary?  Satan is using people in an attempt to destroy the Gospel.  Many attempts have been made to destroy the Bible, the Jewish people, and God.  It cannot and it will not ever happen.  God is stronger, and He will prevail in the end.  I am absolutely sure, and I know that I am on the winning side!  That makes me strong and have compassion for those who don't have that confidence. 

No comments: