Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sixty-Five Years Later

I was born on January 24, 1948 on my parent's 7th wedding anniversary.  I am humbled that God has allowed me to live for 65 years!  Many of my friends and family members died much younger.  Knowing that, I feel responsible for the years I have.  Yesterday, I went to the doctor.  He is still checking my heart.  I had gained a few pounds over the holidays, so next week I will be seeing a nutritionist at the Wellness Center.  I'm ready!

Yesterday, I spent the morning at St. Anthony Hospital doing volunteer work once again.  I had missed being there when I was sick.  Pastor Larry had a funeral to officiate, so he gave me the ER phone, and left me in charge of a patient who was "coded".  I was on my rounds when the phone vibrated.  I left the 2nd floor and headed to the ER.  I didn't see any family members, so I went to the trauma room to see if they had gone in there.  When I entered, no one was there except for the deceased woman.  I stood there and gazed on her face.  I was shocked to see her lips move and her chest rise and fall with what looked like shallow breath.  I went directly to the charge nurse and asked to be educated.  She told me the patient's heart had stopped 8 minutes earlier, and she had been on a breathing machine which was still causing the lungs to react.  I was relieved!  What upset me the most was that the staff could find no record of any family or friends!!  The nursing home had no records, and she had no visitors.  Lord, help us to find these people and make a difference!

Keri had a productive conference with Sofia's elementry principal.  He recognized that Sofia's religious rights had been trampled on when she was not allowed to give Christmas candy greetings to her school friends.  The teacher apologized and said that she was a Christian, but was in fear of not being "politically correct".  What has happened to our nation?  Everyone should be able to express their spiritual beliefs without fear of being different.

Noel's wife, Janice, retired last week, and we are enjoying her being with her family here in Shawnee for several days.  Tomorrow morning, Janice is going with me to Dillard's for a make-over.  Since it is my birthday, I thought that would be fun.  Last Saturday, Bill took me to the mall to choose a pepper mill and salt shaker set.  I also bought some items at HallMark for Christmas gifts next December.

I will write more later.  I have an apple pie in the oven, and must drive to Shawnee for a piano lesson.  I am so grateful to be healthy again and am enjoying this week!   

    

No comments: