Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday, April 20, 2009

I'm still learning how to juggle working full-time with my other resposibilities once again. Last Friday, we had Professional Day at SEI. I had to give a presentation on teaching low level English students to write a story. When that was finished, I drove to the mall to pick up Mom. She had more neurological tests at St. Anthony's in OKC this week and we are waiting for those results. She is praying that all will be fine since she will be flying by herself to California at the end of this month for graduations, a wedding, and a new great-granddaughter!

On Saturday, I bought groceries and went to the post office while Bill mowed the lawns. In the afternoon, we saw "Knowing" with Nicholas Cage. It was great! I was so surprised by the theme of the movie! It has some errors, but still worth seeing. After the movie, we went to Wal-Mart to buy gifts for friends, and some geraniums for the patio. While we ate at Wendy's the rain poured. I still just love thunderstorms. The sky is beautiful, and the earth smells so fresh! I will always remember my 4 year old granddaughter, Sofia telling me that thunder is God talking. He is saying, "Go in the house, or get your umbrella!"

Sunday was a full day. I taught the Bible study lesson on the power of the Holy Spirit. We had a full class and I was surprised because the other adult class had a special speaker. I was sure my class would switch teachers for the day, but they didn't!! Then Bill and I sang a duet for the worship service. We had never done that at NBC. I sang alto. Following the service, the church had a baked potatoe and dessert lunch to raise money for the team going to Brazil. I was amazed that $1,600 was raised in 30 minutes! In the afternoon, Wanda Christian called to say, "hello". Her husband was our pastor in Yokohama, and they live in OKC now. About an hour later, Ian called and asked if he and Phyllis could just "hang out" for awhile. They are always lots of fun to have around!

Today, was back to school. This is the last week of this session, and I am ready for a less demanding schedule. I'm not sure I'll get it, however, because we have another Saudi couple coming in who are low level. I have to say that teaching these Saudi students has been great! They are so polite and eager to learn. Today, Ibrahim offered me some lemon-rice that was wrapped in grape leaves. Not bad! I'm still waiting to tell them that I have Jewish blood in me. Smile! I don't really think they will care. They were really interested in the Easter story this past week. I explained it to them in "first grade" English. When I finished, Khaled looked at me with tears and said, "Jesus was really nice, wasn't he?" I simply shook my head - "yes".

No comments: