Thursday, February 3, 2011

Storm Aftermath/Bill's Birthday

This is the third day for all of our schools to be closed due to the record setting snow and arctic weather. Oklahoma is under a state of emergency which will allow us to get more snow removal equipment and finance shelters. Usually, Oklahoma gets 6 inches of snow each year. Tecumseh and Shawnee got 12 inches in one day. Bill and I have been blessed because we have not lost power, and our home is very warm and insulated. I heeded the warnings and stocked our pantry and refrigerator. This morning we watched cardinals, blue jays and squirrels play in the snow without a worry in the world.

Today is Bill's 61rst birthday. I feel sorry that we cannot go out for dinner or celebrate with friends. Last week, I bought him the videos that he had asked for to further his collection (Casa Blanca and Wizard of Oz). I surprised him with a book of movie gift certificates. I made a Devil's Food bundt cake with cream frosting and sprinkles, and have a rolled pork shoulder in the crockpot. Perhaps we can go to Red Lobster this weekend. He has recovered from the flu and has been shoveling snow a little at a time. I thank God for a husband who is a hard worker and tells me that he is praying for me.

In spite of not going to school, we have kept our usual schedules. We get up, eat breakfast, take showers, get dressed and plan our day. I guess that's the "teacher" in us. We brought our books home and have lessons plans made. I had an eye appointment made for today, but I received a call saying that the street was impassable and they would reschedule.

Keri called before the storm hit Chicago. She had stocked her kitchen and felt ready. Kelli also called from Grand Rapids. She reported that several people were not listening to the warnings. In times like these, I'm sooo glad I'm a Christian. I can't be with everyone I love to take care of them. But, I can pray, and know that I have a friend who CAN help them! That gives me peace of mind. Galen called and said that California was experiencing high winds and many semis had overturned on the freeways. Noel called to say that Springfield got a foot of snow. Janice enjoyed her two days off. She continues to see record amounts of people come into her state office looking for a job. There will always be storms in life. I continue to choose faith over fear! (See pictures of the snow below this blog.)

No comments: