Monday, May 16, 2011

Weekend Events

I can hardly believe that it is the middle of May! I guess I am having fun! This is the last week of Session #5 and I love my students! They are smart and willing to learn and they are a nice change from some I have had lately. However, Bill has had some unbelievably lazy American students in his on-line class. I am not so optimistic about the future of our nation when I observe the number of people who don't want to earn their grades or their living. So many people have both hands out and brag when they don't have to work. I'm also surprised at how many people don't understand the economics of running a household, or the government.

Saturday, Bill and I took Mom to the Catfish Round-Up Restaurnat just off of I-40. Uncle Johnie met us there to celebrate his birthday, although it was late. He is 92 years old and still independ ent. He didn't want fish. He ordered a hamburger with lettuce, tomaotoe and NO goop! He entertained us by talking about getting married again. He's looking for a beautiful woman who would be willing to water his horses. I will be posting a picture soon.

There were 18 people in my Bible Study Class yesterday. We continue to enjoy our discussions and are growing. A new couple joined us. The husband said that he had been hurt by a church in the past and had not spoken to God for many years. His life was a mess and he wasn't happy. He fell on his knees last week and then called Isaiah. Isaiah told him that he had found a church that was real and had true faith. A church that told the truth. In worship, Larry preached on sin and the consequences. We all listened because we were all guilty and needed to repent.

This last week I have been dwelling on the word, "humble". God calls us to be humble, not arrogant and cocky. Americans have a hard time with that word. Having a good self image and being humble before God is a balancing act. We fall off the beam a lot. We can't love God or other people in the right way until we see ourselves truthfully.

No comments: