Monday, May 23, 2011

Weekend Report

Last Friday, we finished another session. After the students finish their comprehensive exams, they go the lounge for an activity. I was asked to plan and supervise this particular time, and enjoyed it! While waiting for students to finish testing, I played ping pong for the first time in months. I surprised myself by learning that I can still play. (While in high school, I worked for the newspaper office and earned a ping pong table by signing up new subscribers.) When we had enough students, I conducted a discussion group concerning likes and dislikes. Interesting!

Bill finished teaching his 7 week Media and Mass Communications course this past week. I had been a patient "widow" so he took me to OKC to celebrate on Friday evening. We were shocked to learn about the new trend that is sweeping the elementary schools. While making a waffle at Hampton Inn, I talked to little girls who were there for birthday parties. In both cases, families had rented 3 rooms for the night so that the girls could use the pool and have a slumber party. My mind was calculating big dollar signs!! No economic problems in OKC.

Friday evening, we ate at Spaghetti Warehouse which brought back memories of Japan. We use to eat at that restaurant in Tokyo after spending 3 hours studying Japanese every Wednesday afternoon. After dining, we walked around Bricktown by following the canal. It was a perfect evening weather-wise. While there, we chatted with some of our students and had tea at a sidewalk cafe where a group was playing jazz. The next morning, we went to the new theater and saw, "Pirates of the Carribean". To be honest, Johnny Depp can be funny, but the movie was a "yawner" in general. I enjoyed being in an ultra-modern cinema more than watching the movie. It has a super big screen and rocking chairs.

Sunday, was a surprise! Last week, I had a new couple join our Bible Study class. They came back again, and another new couple joined us. Suzanne and David moved into their new home this weekend and I thought we would be down in number. Not so! We're up to 18 members again. When we sing, I have to supply papers because these people did not grow up in church. They are soooo refreshing! They don't mind telling you how Christ is changing their lives. They also love being with people who have their own stories to tell of forgiveness.

My family keeps me praying! Noel may be going to the Cleveland Heart Hospital in June after they look at his history. Roger goes to the doctor tomorrow to have his finger x-rayed. He broke it while sailing and we are hoping it is healing properly. He is considering flying to OK for the Pow Wow. David may be driving here with Galen and Sondra. Mom cooked for me and Bill again last night, and she is beside herself with excitement thinking about her kids coming. Tomorrow is Isaiah's first birthday. I will write about that later. What a cutie!

No comments: