Monday, July 25, 2011

Isaiah 40:31 Noel/Uncle Johnie

"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strenth ......." I have hung onto this verse for the last week. I know without a doubt that I could not have endured without the prayers of my family and friends.

When I went to a meeting at Cooper's Funeral Home last week, I thought I would simply take Mom and be an observer. It became apparent that Uncle Johnie had not left funeral instructions. Family members knew what they wanted for the graveside, but had no idea what to do for the service. Uncle Johnie's church had just lost their minister of music so there was a void. At that point, I stepped up and took control of the music and the service. I also ordered the family flowers.

On Friday morning at 8: 00 AM the horsedrawn wagon was to carry Uncle Johnie to the cemetary. It was one hour late and everyone was standing around in 90 degree heat. Noel began to feel bad and Bill and I took him to the church. I gave him some ice water and put him on the front row with us so that no one would greet him. Noel made it through the funeral and the beautiful lunch which the church provided for the family.

On Saturday, Noel began to weep with intense pain in his chest while sitting on our couch. I told him I was going to drive him to the Okla. Heart Hospital ER. They admitted him, and Bill and I arrived home at 1:00 AM . I got a sub for my Bible Study class. That afternoon, I drove Mom and Mark to the hospital. Dr. Kahn encouraged Noel and said there were several new procedures that could help him. In the evening, the test results came back from the head scan and he learned that he had suffered two small strokes at the funeral. One from a clot and one that was still bleeding. Noel has five more tests today and then we will know more. Noel is a 6 foot tall retired Navy officer who is always detailed and in control of any situation. It's hard for me to watch him be so helpless.

I have to teach this morning, and then take Mom to meet my uncle's attorney. Then, it is back to the hospital. I have a peace that passes all understanding. I'm amazed at the strength God is giving me physically and emotionally. I am so thankful for loving friends and family who are praying for me in spite of not being close. It makes all the difference in the world at times like this! I love you! Keep praying!

No comments: