Thursday, July 7, 2011

July 4th Heat

We continue to have record breaking heat in Oklahoma. It is 108 degrees in Tecumseh at 4:30 p.m. However, life goes on! I taught my usual morning classes, and then took Anne's classes in the afternoon because she wasn't feeling well. After school, I dropped by the Pott Tribal Court to get my tags renewed. $50 - not bad for a '10 Camry! While there, I stopped by to see my nephew, Jason. I caught him on his way out to check on the FireLake Grand. We chatted for about 10 minutes. His family is going to California next week to enjoy the beach, and Papa Galen and Gramma G.

We tried to escape the heat last holiday weekend to no avail. We took Mom to Springfield on Saturday and had a Mexican lunch with Noel and Janice and Mark. After lunch, Bill and I drove on to Branson for two nights at the Center Point Inn. We had dinner at Montana Mike's Steak House. We had to wait for a table at 8:00 p.m. I felt like I was back in California! The next morning, we went to Skyline Baptist Church. Wow! This gorgeous building is located next to Fall Creek on Fall Creek Road. When we entered the lobby, there were Branson scenes and a lady playing a baby grand piano. There was also a visitor's center with cookies, coffee and soft drinks. The sanctuary looked like a first class dinner theater that was graduated on levels. We learned that it truly had been a dinner theater, and was sold to Hobby Lobby for 2 million dollars. In turn, Hobby Lobby sold the property to the Baptists for one dollar!!!! We sat in cushioned chairs and had our Bibles and programs lying on the counters in front of us. The pastor is a former missionary, and had just taken a group to San Salvadore.

Sunday evening, we went to the Shoji Tabuchi show. I saw several signs in Branson that said, "Tabuchi rules Branson". Now I understand! Just like the Japanese we came to know and love, he is a perfectionist violinist. What a gift! He and his band play every style of music flawlessly. The dancers and the lighting were also fantastic! At one point, a laser US flag waved over the audience. Beautiful! I was reminded that God allowed only man to create art and music in his image. Animals cannot do that. We are really special and loved!

On Monday morning, we drove back to Springfield. We went to Incredible Pizza to celebrate Mark's 29th birthday. There were 16 of us including Mike and Christine White from Dad's church in California. They were visiting Janice's Dad, Bailey Hill. They talked about old times together when Dad was their pastor. Of course, they were excited to see Mom in Springfield! We left after a couple of hours, and made it back home by 6:00 p.m. We went by Braum's to get some ice cream before dropping Mom off at her apartment. God is sooooo good! I'm blessed to have people in my life that I love so much!

No comments: