Thursday, May 23, 2013

Silver Dollar City/Tornados/And More

While in Branson, we took the  grandkids miniature golfing for the first time.  Selah surprised us by making a whole in one!  Not bad for a 5 year old!  On Tuesday of last week, we took them to Silver Dollar City.  It was a perfect day weatherwise.  Bill and I had always gone to the shows, so it was a new experience to go to every kiddie ride available. 

Sunday, we went to Bible Study and Worship and then home to wait for the bad weather to hit.  We had been warned, so we watched the TV.  The siren sounded in Tecumseh about 4:00 p.m.  I called Noel to let him know we were going to get Mom and go to the safe house.  He, Janice and Mark met us.  We stayed until the radio let us know that it was clear.  We called Jason (Galen's son) and learned that they had a lot of hail damage, but their house was okay.  On Monday, we had a repeat of Sunday's drill.  When I watched the huge tornado forming in NewCastle on the TV, I told Bill to get in the car and go!  Once again, we went to Mom's apartment to get her.  Two official looking men were at her door telling her to go.  Again, Noel's family joined us.  We talked to the neighbors until it was once again clear.  By now, Bethel Acres and Moore looked like a war zone. 

We all went back to Mom's, and Bill and I offered to get food from Sonic which was nearby.  It was closed, so we drove to FireLake Supermarket.  It was partially open and most of the lights were out.  I found some deli chicken wings and some frozen tater tots to go with Mom's Dr. Pepper. We took those to the family for dinner in the pouring rain.  No one minded because we were all together and safe.  Several of our friends have lost their homes or had major damage.  Our church email has kept us in touch, and everyone has pitched in to help with food or man power.  I know that the Baptists have fed a hot lunch to over 30,000 people.  The latest count is that 1,200 homes were lost in Moore.

Tuesday, I volunteered at the hospital.  The CEO called a prayer meeting of the staff at 10:00 a.m. in the cafeteria.  Seventy people made a circle and joined hands to pray.  Many of them volunteered to help at the Norman Medical Center when they got off duty to help the victims of Moore.  That morning, I was welcomed in every room as I asked if they would mind if I prayed for them.  I sang to one lady who had been injured by a semi-truck hitting her car during the storm.  I noticed that as I sang, she fell asleep.  I tip-toed out quietly. 

This afternoon, Bill went with me to the Cross Timbers Elementary School.  I played the piano for Kaylee as she sang, "My All in All".  (She is my little student with one glass eye.)  She sang perfectly and with confidence.  I can't wait to know what God has planned for her life.

During the talent show, we watched a brother and sister do a gymnastic routine.  After watching them I understood why our granddaughter, Sofia won 4th in the Illinois State Competition last Saturday.  She is fantastic for her age (8)!!   Being with us in Branson, I worried about her being too tired.  She stretched, did her flips and splits while with us.  But I knew it wasn't the practice she would have in the gym at home.  I'm glad she tried and did so well.  We all prayed she would do her best.  

No comments: