Monday, December 8, 2008

Monday, December 8, 2008

Thoughts about the Character of God

I have spent a lot of time this week thinking about the different facets of God's character. God is just and seeks to balance His world and His people. Unfortunately, many children have grown up to think that the world revolves around them and what they want. They have not learned to respect wisdom and the experience of older people. I often observe children talking back to their parents and refusing to obey! These same children will grow up to rebel against all authority, and especially the notion that there is a God to obey. They are not learning the rewards of discipline and patience, and reject the notion of a God who disciplines. As one of my friends said, "He is God! He is our creator! Who do we think WE are to tell Him what He should do and not do!" God is extremely loving and merciful to put up with us! Yes, God has wiped out nations, but perhaps He gave them chances to change their ways and they refused. God is just and merciful. But, when He gets enough He lets loose! I experienced that in my classroom last week. My 17 year old student decided to play around and wanted to tease me. I let it go for awhile. But after some time of warning, he became obnoxious to me and the other student I was trying to teach. Fahhad had only seen me be patient and kind. Was he surprised when I raised my voice, told him to sit down and threw my eraser on the floor! He made the right choice. He sat down, apologized and started learning. I seldom do such a thing as a teacher, but I couldn't get his attention any other way. God must feel like that sometime. I, personally, want to have the favor of God in my life! Some people are so full of pride that they will NOT humble themselves and pray. They miss all of the good stuff and go through life third class.

No comments: