Monday, January 25, 2010

Birthday Weekend

I was born 62 years ago on January 24th in a church parsonage during a snowstorm while my father was a student at Southwestern Baptist Seminary in Ft. Worth, Texas. I was the third of seven children and born on my parent's 7th wedding anniversary. I have celebrated all weekend and it continued today! Bill took me to the famous Cattleman's Steakhouse in OKC on Saturday. Earlier in the day, I received 3 roses - one for each of my children. Sunday evening, we took taco salads and ice cream to share with Mom. After eating, we played Mexican Train. I recieved calls and messages all day from my kids, grandkids and my brothers (Noel, Galen and David). I also got a card from Chinami. (She was the girl I coached to become a winner in Japan's English Speech contest.) Today, I was presented with a beautiful fudge chocolate cake that some of my students had bought for me. I am so blessed to be another year older!!!

Our Bible Study class was a bit disrupted. Pete called Saturday evening to say that Lorna was at Integris Hospital to get a new kidney. However, Sunday morning he called us again to say that it wasn't a good enough match. We were all disappointed, but glad that Lorna is in good enough health to wait for a better one. She called me today to wish me a belated happy birthday. That is just like her! She continues to have faith and never complains!

Pastor Larry's message was on the Prodigal Son. He had tears as he spoke about his daughter who has turned her back on God. He asked if we have loved ones who have also wandered far away from God. As the music played, you could hear people sobbing all over the church. The Spirit of God had fallen over that congregation! At the close of the service, we did what we always do - we held hands in a chain and prayed.

The Bible Study Class is coming to our home this Friday evening to celebrate Bill's 60th birthday. Everyone is bringing Subway sandwiches to share, and I will provide drinks, chips and dessert. Some of the Asian kids told me today that they want to bring Chinese dumplings and fried rice. That's great!

I was suppose to go back to my light teaching schedule today. Lucille called last night sick, and asked if I could take her classes for another day. It was all good!

No comments: