Friday, January 22, 2010

TGIF

Yeah! It's Friday! I taught full-time this week while Lucille is in Chicago. Although I love the classes, it's a lot of work at times. One of our new students asked me an interesting question. He said, "Teacher, who is most important in your family?" Later, he rephrased his question, and asked me who the government thinks is the most important. I told him that we are equally important, and must be respected as such. It took this student awhile to grasp what I was saying. Finally, he told me that it isn't that way in his country. He told me about the wives who are killed every year without anything being done about it. He also told me about the 5 year old next door who was beaten to death by his father. For that, the father received 5 years in prison. With tears in his eyes, he said, "Teacher, I love America! Why is it different from other countries?" I told him that many Americans are Christian and look to Jesus for their example. Jesus taught people to respect women and children. The laws of our nation are built on Christian principles.

It seems that I overworked my guardian angel this week. While driving to school, the car in front of me nearly hit the concrete center divider while talking on the cell phone. I slowed down and moved to the right lane. Later in the week, I went to the supermarket. I noticed a parking space at the end, but wondered if the truck in front of me would get it. When he turned to the right, I decided to go for it. I was shocked when the truck began to BACK into the same space without looking. I braked, leaned on my horn and just waited for him to hit me. He came within a half inch of my car. I couldn't believe I hadn't been crunched. I sat there for a minute and then noticed another space directly across, so I drove in. I looked over to see who had the gall to back into a space without looking into his rearview mirror. It was a white haired man who most likely can't see or hear. I forgave him and did my shopping.

At lunch, I was having a theological discussion with my director, Tony. He often tells me that God is not fair. Tony says, "If God was fair, I would go to hell!" I agreed with him. Smile! We also talked about what is "good". We couldn't imagine letting our students all decide for themselves what is "good". There would be no standard, and absolute chaos. (Many of my students try to negotiate with me as it is. Many times I show mercy and give second chances. And.....sometimes their chances run out. I think God must be the same.

No comments: