Sunday, January 17, 2010

Nice Weekend

Saturday morning, I worked around the house until 11:00 a.m., then Bill and I drove in the rain to Norman for our annual basketball game. OU was playing Missouri. The first half was slow and OU was always trying to catch up. The second half got more exciting. Neither team is championship material at the moment, but OU finally won 65-61. The best part of the game was half-time when the Special Olympic gymnastic girls performed for us. They were wonderful!
After the game, we tried Marie Callender's again. I had a really bad experience there last year, but they sent me a discount card which couldn't be ignored. I had a half rack of ribs that were great! We also received two free pieces of pie. I told the manager that they had changed my mind about the restaurant.

Saturday evening, a group of teens came to our house as part of a birthday party scavenger hunt. That brought back so many memories of church youth parties! I gave them a piece of gum, a Q-tip and a dryer sheet.

Last night, the phone rang. It was Sofia's tiny voice. She said, "Hi, Gramma. I'm going to have a new baby brother!" She was so excited! Of course, I also talked to Selah.

This morning, we had 16 in Bible Study class. The lesson dealt with what the proper response should be for Christians when confronted with injustice in our world. King Solomon had a lot to say on that subject. We were reminded to let God revenge (not our job), and to defend the oppressed.

I accompanied Bill (trumpet) and Ted (trombone) on the piano during worship service. Pastor Larry made a statement this morning that was profound to me. He said, "Pray that the Holy Spirit speaks to the hearts of those we love. If someone becomes a believer because we talked them into it, that means that someone can talk them out of it. When a person experiences God for themselves, no one can change their minds. The unsettling fact is that some people don't want to experience God, because He would require a major change in their lives."

No comments: