Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK Day

It's nice to have the day off from school. Last evening, Bill and I took tacos to Mom's apartment and played Mexican Train. She won most of the games! She's still coughing but is feeling much better than last week.

Last Friday, Sherry Sparks came to our house for pizza. She brought warm baked cookies, so we forgot about calories and enjoyed life. After dinner, Sherry and I practiced a duet for Sunday. I sang alto and Bill played the piano for us. So many people thanked us after the service, and used the word "worshipped" . We had a great Bible Study again, and I was given a thank you note by a lady who is the payroll clerk for Shawnee Public Schools. It meant so much to me because I was taken by surprise. Our church is never ho-hum! Yesterday, at the close of our service, two romances were announced. Two students who attend OBU have begun to date. The girl is a beautiful white student and the boy is a large black man. Our church accepts everyone no matter what their background is or their color. The second announcement took me by surprise also. SaraRuth is in my Bible Class. Her divorce is final this week, and I know that she has been struggling financially. I was so shocked when I learned that she is engaged to Edgar who just got out of the hospital. Edgar use to sing in a band and is a recovering alcoholic. I'm praying that they are really in love, and this is not a "mutual need" society.

Kirk is back from St. Vincent. He had a great visit with the churches, and reported that the island is expanding their airport and tourism. He also said that he and Tamra are planning to go sailing with us on Roger's boat when we come in February. In his words, he is "pumped"!

Noel is at Mayo Clinic today in Phoenix, Arizona. Bill and I prayed for him and his family this morning.

Saturday, Bill and I saw, "Narnia". Christians can see the symbolism right away. It's action packed and well done. C.S. Lewis portrayed himself as Eustace in the story. He was an atheist for most of his life, and saw himself as more intelligent than people who believed in what cannot be seen. Believing in what we cannot see is profound consolation when we lose someone we love dearly. I thought of that as I watched the news in Arizona this last week. If you really love someone with all of your heart, you do not want physical death to be the end of that relationship. However, if you do not have the ability to love deeply, it won't bother you at all to lose someone and not have the hope of seeing them again. God is the author of "love". If you don't believe in Him, you cannot love except with the world's definition of lust.

No comments: