Saturday, January 15, 2011

Weekend at Last

This has been an interesting week. Oklahoma has had record low temperatures for this time of year. I stocked up on food and water when I listened to the forecast because I hate shopping in cold weather. (Yes, I'm a California wimp!) However, I had some new Christmas clothes that I enjoyed wearing for the first time. I had warned our students from the Middle East that they needed to wear something a little warmer Some did not listen to me, and wore shorts and flipflops to class when the high temperature for the day was 26 degrees. I noticed that they began to catch on, and I smiled when they wore jeans and jackets the next day.

Speaking of warm weather, I called Noel this morning to wish him Godspeed. He and Janice and Mark are flying to Phoenix today. Noel has an appointment on January 17th with doctors at the Mayo Clinic. If Noel has to live with his heart problems, we pray that a way can be found to ease the pain. I'm praying for Janice as she copes with Phoenix traffic!

We received a letter from Keri and Kevin yesterday. Keri's friends whom she had worked with in Istanbul lost their 12 year old son with cancer. While watching the funeral on the computer and listening to the message, Sofia began to cry and said she wanted to be more like Jesus. Later, Keri heard Sofia praying in her room, and again feeling contrite about being disobedient. Kevin talked to her and assured her that she didn't need to worry because God forgives His children and He will help her to do what is right if she trusts Jesus to live in her spirit and help her each day. Sofia then prayed and asked Jesus to live in her heart. I'm praying that Sofia's child-like faith will mature as she grows and she won't let the world take it away from her. She's extremely bright and I know that Satan will not leave her alone.

Kelli called before I went to work on Thursday. She was having some serious trials with her teenage children and needed prayer. We talked for awhile and I called my mother to pray with us. Friday morning, Kelli was excited. God had worked some miracles for her. Teenagers are always a challenge, but God is greater than he who is in the world!!!

My school had a birthday party for January birthdays this week. After class, I went to the ladies' room. Someone told our director that I had gone home. Bill said he protested, but they were not listening to him. I could hear the school singing, "Happy Birthday" while I was in the bathroom. At first, I was really angry, but now I think it is funny in a strange kind of way. When I came to the lounge, the Korean students sang to me, and I was given some cake. I guess I will wait until my actual birthday to hear, "Happy Birthday" in English. I will insist on it, because I heard it for so many years in Japanese. Sandra, our director, did apologize to me and we hugged. Life is too short to be mad. I guess I'm a "people person".

No comments: