Friday, March 25, 2011

Fun in Branson/Week's Events

A week has passed since we went to Branson. Before visiting Noel and Janice in Springfield, Bill and I spent time in Branson. We stayed at the Center Point Hotel which was very nice! It has an indoor pool and jacuzzi and a complimentary breakfast with waffles. We arrived last Thursday afternoon in time to take a nap before our show. The show began at 4:45 p.m. with old Roy Rogers and Lone Ranger movies. We ate free popcorn as we watched and learned how the Lone Ranger became "The Lone Ranger". As the dinner theater filled, we got aquainted with a couple sitting next to us from Nebraska. She was a teacher, and he was a corn and bean farmer. Soon, we were served a half grilled chicken, baked beans, applesauce, cottage potatoes and cornbread muffins. We drank ice tea, coffee and cream soda, and ended on a double chocolate brownie. The show was first class (if you like country and Irish music). The fiddler was featured in a movie nominated for 4 academy awards this year (Winter's Bone). One of the guitarists played with the Baldknobbers for 21 years. The show was very funny as well as having great music. The next day we toured the Wyndom Resort and ate at one of my favorite restaurants -- Bob Evans. We don't have one in the Shawnee area. It was just nice to be away from the hustle and bustle for awhile. I will post some pictures taken in our hotel room with a swan that was created from folded towels.

This week has been extremely busy because we were wrapping up another session at school. My students gave me a miserable time at the beginning. But by the last day, they were all saying how much they liked me and would miss me when they went home. I wished I had a tape recorder!! My new beginning student took my breath away. He is the first student from the Middle East to tell me that his family is not Muslim. They are Christians! He wanted to prove that his father was Muslim by saying that he drinks beer. Smile! I started singing "Amazing Grace" to get his reaction. He stopped me and said, "Arabic!" I let him finish and then he showed me with his hands that his mother and father cry when they sing that song because they have to be secretive. I can't imagine not having freedom to worship as I please.

No comments: