Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Birthday! And other Events

Yesterday, March 7 was my brother, Galen's birthday. I was two years old when he was born in Petersburg, Illinois. We are the only children of seven who were not born in a hospital. Both of us were born in church parsonages due to blizzard conditions. It's unbelievable that Galen and I are both in our sixties! When I think of Galen, I think of taking piano lessons together at Thearles Music Company in San Diego. I think of singing a duet at the Elks Club and holding back our laughter. Ithink of introducing him to my babysitter, Sondra, who is now his wife. I think of crazy stuff ---like going to get Crispy Cream Donuts in Ontario at 5:30 a.m. I also remember when he and Sondra flew down to the Cayman Islands to attend my graduation from ICCI and I got my teaching credential from the State of Massachusettes. Galen is a brother who has always been there for me, and I thank him for that! Happy Birthday, little brother! You are a man of God!

My oldest daughter, Keri, is in Riverside, California this week. California Baptist University invited her to be their guest speaker for Missions Week. Keri directed the International Special Projects teams for several years before moving to Chicago with her husband, Kevin. She is also participating in several training sessions while there. She said she was going to her Uncle Galen's birthday party at Olivia's on Monday night. Fun!

Last Saturday, Bill and I used his gift certificates to see the movie, "Adjustment Bureau" starring Matt Damon. The plot was very thought provoking. The writer toyed with the idea of "free will" versus "predestination". The acting is not great, but it is full of action, romance and spiritual contemplation. The movie definitely leans to the left, but prompts lots of conversation.

No comments: