Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4th Weekend

Saturday morning, I took potatoe salad and watermelon wedges to my mother. She didn't feel like coming to our party. The evening was extremely hot, so we chose to barbeque hamburgers and hot dogs and then move inside to eat with air-conditioning. I decorated with red, white and blue and little flags. While teaching in Japan, we only got the month of August off in the summers, and there was naturally no celebration on July 4th. Ususally, the schools were holding their music competitions on that day in one of the many music halls. I admit that I did enjoy those competitions!

The park behind our house had jumping castles for the kids and prepared to shoot off fireworks. However, God had his own show planned. It rained most of the night and there were numerous lightening strikes. I loved it! We needed the rain sooo much, and the city will keep the fireworks for Pioneer Days in Tecumseh in September.

In spite of a 3 day holiday, there were 12 in our Bible Study on Sunday. The worship service was filled with guests. Edgar, a 55 year old man talked to us about how God had changed his life in the past 3 years. He did not believe in God or Satan because they go together. He had found happiness through prescription drugs, and hoped that there was no eternity. His life was same old, same old, and he got to the point that he wanted to commit suicide. Then, he met Larry, our pastor. He said he kept listening to Larry because he is so funny. (That's true!!!) Anyway, when Edgar finished talking, he and Larry hugged and we were all crying with them! When I go to NBC I find myself laughing or crying ----at least I'm alive and feeling something! Yeah!

No comments: