Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Jury Duty

I reported to the courthouse in Shawnee at 8:30 AM yesterday morning for possible jury duty. I was sure that I wouldn't be picked due to David's conviction. Out of 52 , 22 were chosen. I was number 7. The judge and both lawyers questioned all of us extensively with the defendant present. Then, each lawyer struck 5 people from the list. I remained juror #7. The case involved a man who had been stopped for speeding and was found to have marijuana on him. The case got more interesting when it was noted that there had been some sloppy policwork, and that 6 packages of coke had been found in the seat of the cruiser after booking the fellow. As a jury we had to decide who was telling the truth - the defendant, or the police. After putting all of the puzzle pieces of the evidence together for over an hour, one lady wouldn't make the verdict unanimous because she has friends who are users and "nice people". It was getting late, and I was tired. I closed my eyes and began praying in my heart for this lady. She finally agreed, and I prayed again that we weren't convicting a "good guy". Once the guilty verdict was delivered, we were told that it was the job of the jury in Oklahoma to decide the punishment. We also learned that the defendant had served time previously for dealing drugs. The judge asked us to stay and finish the case. If we would do so, we would not be required to come back for the rest of the week. I got home last night at 7 PM, totally exhausted physically and emotionally. I learned once again that I HATE conflict, and don't like to pass judgement on anyone. That's God's job, not mine!! I did my civic duty as required and don't want to ever do it again. I actually felt great pity for the poor fellow because he obviously thought he couldn't make it in this world without drugs. However, I don't want him selling to kids in my neighborhood.

No comments: