Tuesday, November 25, 2008

November 26, 2008

Responding to Those Who Suffer

In my experience, people spend their time going in one of two directions. They are either running away from God and His protection, or they are moving closer to Him and feel His comforting Spirit. If we are truly His children, He will discipline us. Even when we turn our faces away from God He continues to love us and waits patiently for us to learn our lessons and come back to Him. When I was out of the will of God, I was afraid to read the Bible because I might have to change my life. That is huge! You can have the best computer in the world, but if it is not connected to the energy source, it has no value. The same is true of people. We can be smart, talented and have personality, but if we are not connected to the Spirit of God, then we can never reach our potential. We will feel stressed and depressed -which leads to illness. There are many ways to suffer. Physical suffering is nothing compared to emotional and spiritual suffering. I worked in a nursing home as a recreation director during my college years. The people who were truly Christians were able to endure pain with dignity that others could not. In fact, after I had my gall bladder surgery I astounded the nurses because I never asked for pain medicine. They said they checked on me frequently because I was the only one on the floor who didn't ring them. Then, I remembered how many churches were praying for me and told them I must have had a host of angels around me! They believed me! Pain and sorrow either builds character and prepares us for Heaven, or it makes us bitter negative people who wouldn't enjoy the presence of God anyway. Time on earth is a vapor. Heaven is forever! If the Bible is true, than those who don't believe will find out what suffering really is! They will not be able to argue with the most Holy God! I personally wouldn't take that terrible chance! It's too much fun having all that extra power in my life! I want to share it with you!

No comments: