Monday, May 25, 2009

Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

It's a day to remember family and friends who loved us and shaped our lives. Listening to "Taps" always makes me misty as I think of my Dad who served in WW II in Germany as a chaplain. I will always be grateful that I had the opportunity to return to Germany with him during peacetime and visit the concentration camps. Saturday evening, while watching, "Hour of Power" I heard the most beautiful song written by David Foster. It is "Heaven Holds the Ones I Love". I'm going to get a copy as soon as possible!

Sunday, I didn't think that many would come to my Bible Study class because it was a holiday weekend. There were 13 of us! Paul and Pat Slone were back. Pat fell and broke her hip when they were moving into their new home. She's fine now, and can walk unassisted. Yeah! The lesson was about Barnabas in the book of Acts. His name means, "Son of Encouragement". We as believers have a choice. We can be positive and encourage others, or be negative and critical of others. Actually, the Bible has predicted the future. God is in control, and His children don't need to worry. I've got something really good, and I want to share it!

Choi asked me if I would cook for him and Jason after church. I was taken back by his boldness, but knew that he is leaving for Korea and just wanted to be in our home one more time. (Choi and girlfriend Kasumi got together at our house at Christmas.) I was all ready, but they ended up not coming because Jason's new roommate was arriving from mainland China. They had to drive to the airport. So, Bill and I ended up going to Rosa's Mexican Restaurant on Hwy 177. The food will keep!

Today, I will pick up Mom at 11:30 am. We will barbeque pork ribs again. Mom loves my key lime pie, so I made another one. I also made deviled eggs last night. I always feel a little pressure when Mom comes over because she has a housekeeper and someone who does her yard. I know that she doesn't care, but I still want everything to be just right. For fun, I pulled out the placemats and coasters that I bought in Bali, Indonesia. I can feel like I'm in a tropical resort while being home in Oklahoma. Fun! I also love this recipe: pink Crystal Light mixed with diet Sprite, add frozen strawberries and pour into a tall clear glass. Drink with a red straw to match the strawberries. Another recipe for fun: (I learned this in Japan.) "Cola Waffles" Two cups of Bisquick, 2 Tbls. oil, 2 eggs, 1 Cup diet soda, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1 cup frozen blueberries. Bake in Belgian waffle maker for 5 minutes. Enjoy these on a weekend when you don't have to rush to work!

No comments: