Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wednesday, May 26, 2009

My Checkbook is the Measure of My Heart

This morning, the scripture verse on my calendar read, "Give, and it will be given to you." Luke 6:38 I realized why New Beginnings Church is so unique! Everyone in my church is volunteer, except for Pastor Larry who is part-time. He receives the majority of his income from Unity Hospital where he is on call 24/7. My church sponsors work in 8 countries, does local prison work, feeds children all through the summer at Mission Shawnee and most recently gave to Run for Life. Last month, the church raised $6,500 at a Bean Supper to assist a 34 year old woman who has cancer. It's incredible to think that our church averages 150 -200 in attendance and yet all of us who do music, secretarial and custodial work are totally volunteer. God has already blessed us so much, we really enjoy giving to other people!

Last night, Kirk called to report on his trip to Vancouver, BC. He said the most touching thing the team did was to help a recently widowed 45 year old woman. She hadn't been able to bring herself to clean out her husband's things, and asked them to help her. She had been a Catholic, and the priest seemed to have no time for her. (Religion is certainly not the answer!) Kirk also baptized a team member who had been a believer for only a short time. He said that he was humbled that she had asked him. I was reminded that last week at my church, a man assisted Pastor Larry in baptizing his wife. It was very touching to see the 3 of them hug when she came up out of the water.

No comments: