Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday, May 3, 2009

I taught my classes this morning, ate lunch with the others in the teacher's room, and then headed to the Ocean Nail Spa for a pedicure. It is so relaxing! Most women yak, but I guess I still have too much Asian culture still in me. I close my eyes and listen to the Kenny G music. From there, I picked up the mail. Keri sent new pics of her family, and a card with a picture of her team that is going to Israel on May 15th. They will be assisting at a hospital in Nazareth where many Muslim people are treated. Keri learned to love the Muslim people when she lived in Turkey. My students from Saudi Arabia are certainly beautiful people!

Last Saturday, we drove to Norman to pick up malaria medicine at a discount drugstore. We saved $102. (Not exaggerating!) Before heading back, we went to the Sooner Mall where I bought a new summer outfit at Dillard's sale. We also ate lunch at El Chico's which seems to be a very popular restaurant. We returned home about 2 p.m. and took a nap before going to see the movie, "Shopaholic". It was shallow, funny and romantic. (We couldn't work in the yard because it was raining.)

Sunday, I taught my Bible Study class. We talked about the legalism in the churches in the South. Because I grew up in California, and lived more than 20 years out of the USA, I can understand why many people don't want to be a part of the church in Oklahoma. Some Christians in this culture are very demanding! I go to church on Sunday morning, and any additional music practices - that's it! My class members really related and told me how much they appreciated the discussion. Christians are "who we are", not "what we do."

Our church was given a professional drum set last week. We have a lady drmmer who is unbelievable!!! Between key changes, she did a short solo. The congregation broke into applause! Fun! Jason Lee, our new Korean student went with us for the first time. During the service, he was taking notes and I found myself writing the root words in his notebook. We were all hungry after church, so we headed for the Chinese Buffet. Sun Kim went with us. She's our sports writer who will be graduating from OBU next December.

I am continuing to learn that I cannot intellectualize spiritual matters. In my "Streams in the Desert" calendar, I came across this prayer. "Lord, open my eyes so that I can see that which is Spirit. Give me faith to believe what I see." Sometimes, I want this so much for people I love, that I find myself crying. I get frustrated when I can see the potential that people have, and they just throw it away. (Maybe it's the "teacher" in me.) So, I just have to give them over to God, and thank Him for what He is going to do. I will wait patiently.

No comments: