Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Interesting Day at School

For the past few days, I have been subbing in the afternoon for a new teacher at our English school. Her daughter is autistic, and she had to find someone to care for her. Delores was so grateful for my willingness to help her out that she gave me a signed book that she and her husband have written together. The title, "A Potawatomi Word A Day". Her husband speaks the language fluently and is a Spiritualist. He performs Indian weddings, funerals and namings. He also worked with my cousin, Dr. George Godfrey at the Haskell Institute in Lawrence, Kansas.

David, one of my Chinese students, blew me away before class started. He asked if he would stay healthy if he went to church on Sunday and prayed. I didn't expect the question, but quickly told him that it wouldn't hurt. I also told him that I don't wait until Sunday to pray. David was fascinated, and asked me when I prayed. I explained that I do a lot of my praying while I'm driving and before I get out of bed. He had seen people pray before their meals and asked if that was okay. I assured him that before or after is just fine. But, the boy wasn't satisfied! He wanted to know what to say. I gave him a brief example and encouraged him to pray for people he loves as well. There were about 7 Muslim students listening to this exchange, and one of them asked me if God talks back to me. So, I explained how I feel He does this. Later in the day, David came up behind me and put his hands on my shoulders. (He's 6 ft.) He said, "Teacher, I prayed at lunchtime today, and I prayed for you, too." That melted my heart!

I know that people are praying for me because I almost became the meat in a "semi-sandwich" on the way to school. As I was driving north on Hwy 177 from Tecumseh to Shawnee, I saw a huge semi-truck barreling down on me from a side entrance. I checked my mirror and hoped to move into the left lane. However, there were two more semi-trucks. One of the drivers saw what was happening and I could hear him putting on his brakes to slow down quickly. I was able to squeeze into the left lane just as the truck to my right came onto the highway!!! I have no doubt that angels were watching over all of us!

No comments: