Sunday, November 15, 2009

Made It Through the Weekend!

When we finished choir practice today, it was raining quite hard. We drove to Van's Barbeque Restaurant and enjoyed the warm atmosphere. I felt like it was the first time in several days that I was relaxed. I taught 17 members in Bible Study Class this morning and then played a violin duet with Pete during the worship service. Sue had to leave early today, and asked me to play for the invitation hymn. Two white-haired ladies were baptized, and Lin (our Chinese student) decided to become a Christian. I had been praying for her because I could visibly see the spiritual battle that she was fighting during the services. When I mentioned it to her this morning, she smiled and said it had been a huge battle due to her pride.

Yesterday, Bill and I drove to St. Gregory's at 6:30 a.m. to meet other teachers who were going to the ESL conference on the Okla. Central Univ. campus in Edmond. I hated getting up so early, but the sunrise was spectacular! It seemed that the entire eastern sky was flaming red!! We went to seminars the entire day except for a catered dinner at noon. It was good for me to be there because I had been asked me to be a presenter, and I refused because I thought you had to be great. After listening to one of the fellows, I leaned over to Tony, our director, and told him I thought I could be a speaker next year. He smiled, and nodded vigorously.

Friday, I taught six classes with only a break for lunch. I normally would not have agreed to do that, but Sandra had asked me to help her out. Her grandfather has bone cancer and she needed to take him to get a scheduled MRI. I know that when I need help, Sandra will be there for me. Besides, the classes were interesting. A Columbian boy wrote an essay about his mother. She works in his father's glass factory, and she designs stained glass for churches and private homes. He said that her favorites are of birds.

Thursday evening, we went to Pete and Lorna's to eat dinner and practice our violin duet. Lorna baked chicken breasts in cream sauce, yellow squash casserole, and made cashew salad. Pete baked a cherry pie with lattice topping. We felt honored that they wanted to cook dinner for us because Lorna is at the top of the list for a kidney transplant. She never complains or talks about it. The doctor told Pete that Lorna's kidneys would fail in 2006. It's almost 2010 and God has sustained her. She hasn't needed dialysis yet either, but she knows it's possible. Lorna trusts God in all matters and it keeps her SO sweet! She's a wonderful role model for me.

No comments: