Monday, March 29, 2010

Monday Morning

Today is testing day for new students, so I don't have to go to school. I do know that I will be teaching 3 classes in the morning this next session. My first class is Verbal Skills, and the next two hours will be Grammar.

We had a light rain most of Saturday. I spent the morning buying Easter cards and making vegetable soup. At noon, Bill and I stopped at Taco Mayo and took lunch to Mom. She had Braum's sugar-free ice cream and fresh strawberries to go with it. Then, we played Mexican Dominoes for 3 hours. I actually won 3 of the rounds. Yeah! Just as we were finishing our game, Susan (my cousin from OKC) came. She had dropped her son off in Shawnee to play in a baseball tournament. We talked to her for about 15 minutes before leaving. She was excited to tell us that her sister, Sharon, is going to have her first grandchild!

Sunday was great! I had 17 in my Bible Study Class. The lesson focused on The Lord's Supper and its symbolism. I realized that it is really difficult for some Christians to wrap their minds around the idea that "attitude" is far more important than "legalism" as it relates to worship. It's okay to use coffee and donuts if that's what is available! The purpose and intent of worship is more important than the method. When we believe that, we don't have time to judge others.

Our morning worship service is never ritualistic and always changing. We listened to a report about the Christian Motorcycle Association. They donated 6,000 motorcycles last year to missionaries around the world. They go to rallies and serve coffee and ice tea. We have several couples in our church who came to know Jesus Christ in a personal way through this association. During the service, Bill played, "The Longer I Serve Him" on his trumpet, and Vicki sang, "He Is Here". The invitation was given before we observed The Lord's Supper. It was another worship service that gave me goose bumps and everyone could feel the Holy Spirit. After, we had a full Easter choir rehearsal. We will present the musical next Sunday morning.

Bill and I saw, "Sherlock Holmes" this weekend. It was humorous but too violent for me. I think it is a "guy" movie. However,, there were some lines in the movie that really made me think deeply. I have reached a deeper understanding that we are all ruled by our faith and our fears. One of the characters in the movie plays a "666" type. He points out that he can rule those who fear him. His goal is to cause chaos and thus incite fear in the nation. People who fear are easier to control. The hostage creates a bond with his captor so to speak. If the people are weak and cannot be independent, the government can control them. I have seen parents control their children by causing them to be dependent. I have seen spouses control each other through threats. I have seen people fear being poor to the point of obsession. What we fear really does control us. There is a difference between fear and a healthy respect. Knowing the difference is vital. This deep introspective thinking has made me examine what I fear and why. I would rather be free, independent and serve God and others as a response to love. Understanding who God is takes away my fear. A loving trust is all that is needed.

No comments: