Friday, March 5, 2010

Tying Up Loose Ends

I decided long ago that going on vacation takes a lot of work! Yesterday, I finished a week of notes for my substitute teacher. I cleaned my house, and have called all of the people on my list. AIH Security has been turned on. Today, I will teach my classes, go to the hair salon, and then attend the school banquet for homestay parents. Tomorrow, I'll do last minute shopping, and then pick up lunch for Mom. Bill and I plan to play Mexican Train with her for a few hours. Our plane leaves on Sunday morning and will take us to Atlanta. It looks like the weather will improve by the time we arrive in the Bahamas. Today is gorgeous in Tecumseh!

One thing I must do before I leave is to say Happy Birthday to Galen, Danny and Anne. March 7th is Galen's special day. He will be 60 years old. I hate to say it because that makes me older too! I will say a special prayer for each of you.

A friend asked his blog readers to send a list of their favorite books. I have listed a few of mine. The spellings may not all be correct because I'm doing this off the top of my head.

A Voice In The Wind by Francine Rivers
Agatha Christi mysteries
This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti
Christy by Catherine Marshall
The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Yesterday, I asked my grammar class the same question that I do every morning. I asked, "How was your evening?" As usual, the students were eager to tell me. One of the students told about his nightmare, and another told us about some relationship problems. After hearing these stories, I told them about Rick Warren's recent interview. Knowing that his wife has cancer, he said that he no longer thought of his life with mountains and valleys. Rather, his feet are on a railroad track. One rail is his problems, and the other rail are his blessings. He is choosing to be concerned about his problems, but FOCUS on the blessings of life. That keeps him balanced. The students were fascinated! I realized how a college teacher can influence a student for life!!! Many adults are molded by their college teachers, and it is so important to give that age group the right perspective.

I will blog again a week from Sunday.

No comments: