Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Congratulations! And Trials!

It seems that May is the time for promotions and congratulations. Galen just learned that he will be given a supervisory position, and now Steve writes that he and his partner, John, have earned the title, "Elite Team". That took years of dedication and skill. Congratulations! Noel and Janice raised you well, Steve!

Yesterday morning, I was sitting at my desk in the Teacher's Room when a student walked in without saying a word. He walked to one of the cabinets and began moving things around. At that point, I got up and questioned him. By then, he was looking at things on another teacher's desk, and said he was looking for a cup. When I pointed to the refrigerated fountain in the hallway, he became very indignant. I stood up to him, raised my voice and ordered him out. When he began to argue with me, my voice got louder and he left. Fortunately, Marilee had walked in and witnessed the entire episode. I learned that the same student had taken a picture of a test just one week ago. He will be gone by the end of this week.

After an emotionally intense morning, I found a memo on my desk at lunch from The Language Company CEO. The Shawnee school had the highest evaluation ever given by students in all 9 schools. It's a unique situation because all of the teachers and the director are "born again" Christians. The owner is Muslim and his wife is Catholic.

No comments: