Thursday, May 13, 2010

Morning at Unity Hospital

Before going to school, I was suppose to go get my lab tests and didn't eat breakfast. Mom called at 7:30 am and told me that she was running a high temperature, had a headache and felt terrible. It was pouring rain, so I decided to go to the clinic and ask a nurse to check on Mom at her apartment. The doctor thought it best to take her to ER in case she was going to have a stroke. After several tests, the doctor seemed at a loss. I asked him to look at her left ankle and foot which were very blue and swollen. More tests! Finally, the doctor said that blood tests showed that she had cellulitis and a bacterial infection. That was causing her other problems. We got a prescription for antibiotics and we were on our way. Yeah! I was asking God for help, because Keri's baby has been teasing us all for nearly a week.

About 10:30 am I went to the hospital's new cafeteria to get something to eat while Mom was in radiology. It had closed until 11:00 am. So, I wandered to a vending machine. A fellow had the door open and was stocking it. While I was just standing there, he looked up at me and asked if he could get me something. I told him I would like some Cheetos for breakfast and smiled. He handed them to me, and refused to take a dime! I told him that God would bless him, and he said, "I know!"

After taking Mom home, getting her lunch, and getting her meds, I raced to school to teach my afternoon classes. Our school had invited a Muslim teacher from OKC to be our guest today per my request. I felt responsible and was glad to see him for a brief time. He talked to our students in Arabic after school and helped them to understand American culture and our education system. It was very productive.

No comments: