Monday, May 3, 2010

My Weekend

Friday night, Bill and I attended the OBU Jazz Concert at the historical Ritz Theater in downtown Shawnee. Someone had restored the neon sign and it was flashing. Cool! The jazz band is going to Brazil in June to work and play concerts. Therefore, they played a lot of Bassa jazz. A girl sang with them on three of the numbers. She was very good, and it took me back to the sixties. So relaxing!

Saturday, the McLoud Volunteer Fire Department was back in Shawnee, so I bought a gorgeous yellow rose bush and planted it with Bill's help. Later, we went to Braum's before seeing, "Alice in Wonderland". The fireman who had helped me put the rose in the car was also eating at Braum's and came over to say hello. By the way, the movie is great for adults, as well as children. Sometimes, we have to take time to just sit back and laugh!

Saturday evening, Steve called me while driving to Maine. I finally got his blog address straight and was able to read it! Steve, I loved reading about your travels. When you stop driving, you can write a book! Can I share your blog address??

Sunday, my Bible class attendance was down. We only had 13. Five of our members came in for worship, however. During the service, David Jordan, our youth director, was sworn into the Army as a chaplain. He will be going to Afganistan after his formal training. He really feels called, and is excited. Major Hanna spoke about David's commitment. He shared that when he first met David several years ago, David weighed 270 pounds and was not accepted by the Army. David prayed and ran at 4:30 every morning with Major DeRyker (another officer in our church) in order to meet the requirements. Today, David is a tall, handsome young man and you would never know about his battle with weight.

After church, we went to dinner with Alex ( an architect from Korea) and our two students from Peru. Those girls are petite and beautiful! I think Alex is smitten! Choi and Lu had other plans, but it was good to have them sitting with us in church.

I visited with Mom on Sunday afternoon and took her some seedless red grapes. I told her to be sure and watch the Huckabee Show on Fox. S.E. Cupp, who is an avowed atheist, was the guest. She has written a book about the bias of the mainstream media against Christians. She is worried about the balance of the nation. Although not a believer in Christ, she can see the intolerance that Christians are enduring. I know from the Bible, that it will only get worse. The Bible says that in the end times we will face persecution -----that America will NOT be a Christian nation. As long as we have a government that does not need God, God will take His hand of mercy off of our land, and we will suffer the consequences. I have heard this since I was a little girl, and now I am watching it happen. Christians have to decide who they will serve. Christians must prepare to suffer. Atheists will not tolerate us and love us the way that Christians have loved and given freedom to all.

1 comment:

STEVEN said...

Sure, you may share my blog address.