Saturday, October 9, 2010

Indian Summer

This has been an unusually warm fall weekend! They call it Indian Summer. Yesterday, I had my hair cut late in the afternoon. I got home about 6:30 p.m. so Bill and I decided to go to Zocolo's Mexican Restaurant in Tecumseh for dinner. While there, we visited with Darrell and Monta who live across the street from us. The evening was so balmy that they had come on a motorcycle.

This morning, I cooked breakfast and then drove to Mom's to meet my cousin, George and his wife, Pat. (Bill was working on his class.) They had driven from their home in Springfield, Illinois to be a part of a memorial service for their friend, Tom. Tom had experienced the Trail of Tears walk with George a few years back. Because George had been asked to bring the tribal blessing, he was dressed in his traditional Potawatomi clothing. When he emerged from Mom's guestroom I could hear the jingle of the bells.

This afternoon, Bill and I drove to the Country Cottage Lavender Farm. It is about 10 miles from our house. The cottage is a gift shop surrounded by lavender gardens and trees. We were served lavender lemonade as we browsed. I found a few Christmas gifts and bought a mulberry candle for us. I have never been able to walk away from a beautiful candle!

The pumpkin patch is set up every year just a few blocks from our house on Hwy 9. There are strings of white lights all around it, and a train pulled by a tractor for the kids to ride for free. In spite of the 90 degree days, I feel like fall has arrived when I see the piles of pumpkins. I'm always in awe that God has designed the seasons to come and go so perfectly.

I was happy to note that my friend, Danny, came through his back surgery. God does answer prayer!

No comments: